Saturday, February 06, 2016

Actual Conversation

Short man: (Stares me up and down as I walk into the gas station where he is paying for his food.)
Tall woman: (Feels uncomfortable but smiles kindly as I get a drink and move behind him in line.)
Short man: "May I ask you something?"
Tall woman: "Five foot two."
Short man: "You aren't Five foot two."
Tall woman: "You're right."
Short man: "But that actually wasn't my question."
Tall woman: "Oh. Okay. It usually is the first question people ask so I like to make a joke."
Short man: "I wanted to ask where you are from."
Tall woman: "Well, I'm from all over."
Short man: "Okay. But where were you born?"
Tall woman: "Florida."
Short man: "Oh okay. See my x-wife was real tall."
Tall woman: "Okay."
Short man: "She was like 6'2". How tall are you?"
Tall woman: "6'3"." (There's the question.)
Short man: "Yeah she was about your height. She was from Hungary. And she was blonde and looked like you."
Tall woman: "Yeah?"
Short man: "Yeah and when you walked in, I thought you was her."
Tall woman: "I'm not."
Short man: "I know. But I thought you was. And I thought Holy $(#$ she's found me and she wants money."
Tall woman: "I will take your money if you will give it to me."
Short man: "I don't have any money."
Tall woman: "Okay."
Short man: "But I'm glad you aren't her."
Tall woman: (Me too.)

2 comments:

Crystal Bowman said...

You are so beautiful and confident. I am sure you get tired of the "you're so tall" comments. But you handle it with grace and kindness. It bothers me that people are so quick to make comments about a person's appearance. Tall, short, skinny, plump, bald, hairy, black, brown, white--we are all made in God's image. That's the only thing that matters.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Crystal, I totally agree ... and for some reason, tall is seen as GOOD and so a totally normal part of conversation. I am learning to embrace it and enjoy the extra time to talk to people :)