Sunday, February 21, 2016

We Bought a Farm: Eggs, eggs, everywhere!


The picture above is of my afternoon run out to our laying hens. Normally we get somewhere around 4-7 eggs when we give them their breakfast and then 30 or more when we go back around 2pm. Our record in one day was 38 eggs! The eight of us eat no more than a dozen a day which means I am ending up with about 12-14 dozen to sell each week. I have had no problem finding buyers, and we are still charging a little less because the eggs aren't up to full size yet. But by selling these, we are basically eating all of our eggs for free. 

I have to admit there is something really ... empowering ... about raising your own food. And selling the extras is really a fantastic feeling! While we have a few too many roosters and venturing out to our mobile EggMobile can be a bit precarious (more on what I have learned about roosters in a future post), I do love going and seeing how many eggs we have that day. I also love all the different colors and sizes both of the chickens and of their eggs. It's really fascinating. 

It is also interesting to see how they prefer some nesting boxes over others. One box continues to get at least a third of all the eggs for the day. Not sure why they like it, but they do. 

If you missed this video on our VLOG, check it out. This shows how we raise our chickens. I think it is so wonderful that animals can enjoy being outside and enjoy their life like they are.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the picture, it appears that you washed the eggs. I have always heard / read that you shouldn't wash them, because you can wash off some protective layer or something. Can you comment on that? I am just curious. Wish I was close enough to buy your eggs!

shannon

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Shannon,

Technically not washing is best -- but people don't like getting not clean eggs. Just the truth. So you can wash them (if they need it) in warm water:

http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2011/10/eggs-to-wash-or-not-to-wash.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I certainly understand about not getting clean eggs... just wondered what you guys thought. Thanks, again!

shannon

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I certainly understand about not getting clean eggs... just wondered what you guys thought. Thanks, again!

shannon