Friday, August 28, 2009

A big grey ball, a bunny, and a duck

I have a big grey exercise ball in our bedroom. I keep a big fluffy bunny in a basket in our bedroom. And in the guest room, on the bed, is a big white duck -- a gift from Bri to me when I left for college back in 1995.

. . . stay with me here. This may seem random, but I'm going to get to something profound.

I hope.

Isaac thinks all three of these items were personally created for his enjoyment. Every single time we go into our bedroom he immediately starts saying, "Ball. Ball. Ball. Ball." We then have to roll the big grey exercise ball down the hall into the living room. In addition, fluffy bunny must exit with us as well.

Since Isaac and Scrubs follow me to any room I go, I've started just tossing laundry into my bedroom. I'll put them away later. If I open the door fully and Isaac comes in with me, we have to get the ball and bunny out. He can't do both, so I have to take one. We bring them into the living room, Isaac incredibly ecstatic, only to drop them and go back to play with our cars. Sometimes we don't make it farther than the hallway before distraction takes over.

The duck is no different. It's in the guest room (aka Elijah's room). If we go into Elijah's room to put him down for a nap or get him up, Isaac always comes with me. When we leave, duck needs to come with. Duck is nearly as big as Isaac so maneuvering with him down the hallway is quite an adventure.

Yesterday I decided to put the big grey exercise ball onto the porch. I was so tired of rolling it back and forth down the hall. Yesterday evening, Isaac went into our room chanting his typical, "Ball. Ball. Ball. Ball," only to not be able to find the ball anywhere. I felt terrible. The ball is still on the porch, but if he looks just as concerned today, I'll probably drag it back in.

And here's where I get to my point.

I have a parenting philosophy. You may disagree with me. And if you do, that's okay.

But here it is.

There is so much you have to say "no" to as a parent, that I really make it a point not to say "no" unless it really needs to be said. If Isaac wants to play with the ball, while inconvenient, it's not a big deal. Right now he is sitting in the exersaucer. He has recently decided this is way fun again. He may be a little big, but he only weighs two pounds more than Elijah. I don't think he is going to damage it.

I have to say "no" to so much. Things that are dangerous or inappropriate or just not for kids to play with. So I really try to say "yes" whenever I can. Even if it means we have a fluffy bunny, white duck, and exercise ball, perched somewhere in our hallway all day long and I have to put them away each night only to help him take them out again the next day.

It's worth it just to see the huge grin on Isaac's face. Even if he gets distracted six seconds later and is on to something else.

Sometimes it is hard. Sometimes when he wants to help me do the laundry and toss it all over the living room, I feel slowed down. But I try to remember that Isaac is only a little boy for a short period of time. In a matter of months or years it will be inappropriate to throw laundry everywhere. But for now, he's having fun.

Don't get me wrong. I say no to plenty. I think it is definitely appropriate for children to have boundaries and to know what they are and to live within them. For example, I've decided that playing with the VHS tapes just isn't feasible. So that's a no. But I really make it a point to pick my battles.

Ball, bunny, and duck are not my battles. And so in the hallway they sit.

*** Edited to add *** Not 1 hour after I wrote this post, Isaac spotted the big grey ball on the porch. He came running up to me patting his belly saying "Ball. Ball. Ball. Ball." He was desperate to save it from the big bad porch. So inside it is!

7 comments:

Joia said...

What a great way to put things into perspective! =) Thanks for the reminder!

ErieContrary said...

I like your parenting theory! :)

Mom H said...

You are so 'right on'! Keith asked me the other day if he was like Charleigh when he was little. I regretably told him, I really didn't remember cause I was always so busy. So much I wish I could do over but grateful I can now practice on the grandbabies. You are the best Wen!

TAV said...

this is too cute. i also pick my battles w/ my patients :)

Anonymous said...

You know, Wendi. I think you're absolutely right. I have recognized so often in me that I'm quick to say no. "Mom, can we do this?" And to most I say "no!" I've been trying really hard not to be that way. I say no so quickly usually because it's an inconvenience to me to let them do what they've asked. Like you said, it slows me down. But after I've taken a moment to think about what they've asked I usually come to the conclusion that, yes, they can do it.

And here's why my quick-to-say-no habit causes problems. One, they whine so much more because of it. And two, when I change my mind they think the whining they did is what caused me to say yes, which is turn causes them to whine more the next time. (There's many other problems it has caused, but it would take to long to list and explain them).

So, you're one step ahead of the game with your theory and I'm sure, much better off for it. When you do say no, I'm sure you stick to your guns. There's no confusion on Isaac's part. I have learned to say yes to them more often. So now the boys are helping me do laundry (including folding towels and clothes - which I usually have to redo), cook, dust, vacuum, color, cut paper...etc, and the list goes on. They're definitely happier when I say yes. I still find myself saying 'no' too quickly sometimes, but now I don't change my mind once it's been said. I'm still learning.

Bethany

Anonymous said...

I agree with Bethany. Sometimes I have to ask myself why I say "no". It's usually because "yes" would cause more work/time on my part. Go with the Flow - there only little for such a short time. I can attest to that. I blinked my eyes and Madeline is in college. Some of my best memories are the ones where they made the biggest messes. i.e. cutting paper, glueing, play-doh (the worst), playing with toys in a bathroom sink full of water, playing cars out in the dirt, digging holes in the dirt just to dig a hole, playing school in the basement I just organized. Fond memories :).
Linda

Stacy said...

I love hearing all your parenting philosophies. Bring them on!