Monday, August 17, 2009

Raining dog annoyances

It is raining. And it appears it will rain most of the day. The storm moved in late last night, well after we were in bed. It is raining this morning, and the Weather Channel says it will probably do so for the rest of the day. Scrubs still hasn't gone out to do his morning business. I think he is waiting for a break in the weather. Little does he know there isn't going to be one.

Transitioning to Scrubs, I am having a heck of a time with him and Isaac. It isn't the dog that is the problem. It's Isaac. He follows Scrubs everywhere. He climbs on him. He lays on him. He rolls trucks over him. He runs behind him holding his tail. He lays next to him. He lays under him. He lays on top of him. Yesterday, it got so bad, we put Scrubs in the kitchen to give him a break. I caught Isaac with his face plastered against the gate begging Scrubs to lick his face -- to which Scrubs was happily obliging. Scrubs knows he shouldn't lick or take food from Isaac. But when Isaac asks him to lick or shoves food in his face, what is a dog to do?

Scrubs shows amazing patience. But he is unable to get any rest anywhere. I don't want to gate him in the kitchen as he hasn't done anything wrong. How do I explain to a dog that I am putting him there for his own good? One thing I am doing -- if Scrubs is sleeping on his couch bed in the kitchen, I am telling Isaac he is not allowed to bother the dog. That seems to be working okay. At least Scrubs can get a tiny bit of rest. I am slowly teaching Isaac the appropriate times to bug Scrubs and the not-so-appropriate (when he is sleeping.) Isaac is starting to get it. But man he just loves playing with that dog.

I cannot even imagine how overwhelmed Scrubs will be when Elijah begins toddling behind him as well. I may need to make him a bed in our bedroom or somewhere else that he can rest completely undisturbed. The good thing about all of this is that Scrubs really isn't very hyper at all anymore. I think he spends so much of his day being woken up from naps that he stays pretty groggy most of the day!

Well, off to read some books to my eldest boy while the rain pounds outside. Enjoy the dreary Monday everyone.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

When I saw this on the news last night I immediately thought of you and wondered if it was headed your way. We live in Houston and are hoping we don't get a repeat of Ike this year!

Anonymous said...

Isaac sounds like he's at the stage similar to when Maia would say, Come play Gramma, Come here Gramma, let's play gramma -if I stopped playing just for a few minutes to sit on the couch...or clear up the kitchen...she couldn't get enough! If i'd have known, she just needed a dog, I'd have said woof! :)