Friday, August 21, 2009

Today . . .

i was reminded that life is hard.

Went for a run this morning. It was a good run. Humid. Three miles. Not too hot. Didn't have to put the shades over the boys. That was nice. I could watch them during my run. Scrubs ran well. As usual lately. He's become a pro at trotting next to the stroller. I barely know he is there.

After the run, I stopped at the park by our house. My friend Heather came out of her house with her little boy Sam. She brought me a glass of water. I didn't realize how thirsty I was till I drank the whole glass in a matter of seconds. Hit the spot.

Sam and Isaac played. Sam went down the slide. Isaac followed. That's the first time he's gone down the slide unassisted.

Growing up.

She told me about a friend of her's. They are going to be holding a "Celebration of Life" party. Their son has been diagnosed with Trisomy 18, a genetic disorder not compatible with life. This means that while he may survive until birth, he will, without a miracle, die soon after birth -- maybe hours. Maybe days. Maybe months.

I quickly reflected back to a blog I followed online for quite some time. The story of Eliot. If you get a chance, take a moment to watch this video which walks you through the 99 days of Eliot's life. You will cry. Be warned. But it is beautiful. Moving.

When you watch it, maybe you too will have a day like I had. A day where you count your blessings. Where you remember that life is not easy. That it isn't always fair. That it is hard. That while we are going about the mundane tasks of our seemingly ordinary days, others are grieving losses and carrying pain and hurting. Badly.

I walked back to my house after my talk with Heather. I walked back pushing my two little boys in my double stroller. As I write this now, Isaac just came running up to me, holding one of his blocks. He's recently discovered that they have pictures on them. He found one of a "ball." He set it on my desk and ran back into the living room to discover further. He returned moments later with another ball. This time a baseball.

It is hard for me to believe. Hard for me to believe after all the years, all the pain, all the tears, all the heartache, that I am a mom. That I have not one little boy but two little boys. When did this happen? When did things change so quickly?

I lost many embryos during our journey through IVF. But I never miscarried. I never faced a negative diagnosis for a child I was carrying. I have never carried that grief. How do you carry that grief? How do you stay strong?

God.

Somehow, faith, a belief, a trust that He is bigger than this Earth. That His plans are mightier. That He knows better.

Today, I value my pain. I know that my pain helps me to understand others. To encourage. To listen. To cry.

But my pain seems so small. So insignificant. So trivial in light of the pain of others.

May we all remember today that there are others needing our prayers, our support, our encouragement, our friendship. May we remember that while our life may be coasting in a good direction, others are facing the most difficult moments of their lives.

May we never forget the hurting people. The widows. The orphans. The childless. The broken. May they never be far from our hearts.

Thanks Heather for reminding me of that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true Wendi...Jason Just attended a wake for a 6Yr old who he taught lessons to his big brothers,...and they are now attending Trinity. He has been suffering and fighting Lukemia almost his whole little life..after seeing him dressed in his little Sponge Bob Shirt and toys and pics everywhere, jas had a tough time with that! As I would too, he said the mom left after 10minutes:-(....can not imagine,Lots of prayers to lift that family! Kathleen Huis

Lisa Cronk said...

I needed to read that today, Wendi. Thank you. As I sit at home fearing the worst, terrified that I'll lose my baby girl, I needed to be reminded to cherish the beautiful family I have and to be awed by the amazing, loving, precious son I get to watch grow up every day.
Thanks!
: ) Lisa

Unknown said...

Thank you Wendi for listening. Good Memories shared at EGLIN. May the Lord Be Glorified!

Jess said...

What a beautiful post.

I have a friend who I cycled with during the last IVF who has twin sons who are only a matter of days older than my son. One of her boys has hydrocephalus, along with severe FTT. FTT of the pukes too much, can't digest right, has to be tube fed 24/7 variety. And his problem is undiagnosed. They really have no idea what till happen to him. And she herself has her own problems with extremely aggressive endometriosis and a mother dying of liver failure. Her husband's family is all dead and they have very little support.

You know, it just...makes you wonder why. And it makes you wonder how you got so lucky. And though I believe I can make it through anything with God...my friend is fast losing any faith she had because of the hand life has dealt her. I feel so helpless with her.

You know, if you think of it? Say a prayer of them. Her name is Cathy and her boys are Andrew and Daniel (the one with problems). For Daniel and her mother but also for their faith as a family.

Sometimes I really don't get life. What some people go through make a few years of infertility and a miscarriage look like cake.

Kelli said...

I'm definitely guilty of getting so wrapped up in my worries and my problems that I forget to pray for the needs of others and count my blessings. Thanks for the reminder!

Ebby Ray said...

Thankfully everyone is still sleeping. I am sitting her bawling.
I want to grow up and be like that couple. What sweet, tender, loving, and God fearing people they seem to be.
Great post, Wen.

Carrie said...

Thank you for this post, Wendy. I try to keep this very thing in mind all the time, but life does get in the way and our "little" life stresses do sometimes make me forget how lucky I am.