Thursday, August 18, 2016

We Bought a Farm: Injuries!


So on the heels of throwing out my back (again)*, I offer yet another farm-related-injury:

Okay, so I don't know if I would call what has happened above an "injury." Ever since I was a teenager, I have struggled with incredibly sensitive skin. I am allergic to something called "Balsam of Peru" which is in most perfumes, soaps and shampoo. 

It was, actually, a dermatologic problem, that enlightened my then newlywed husband that he could actually be a doctor. I had a rash, similar to the one on my hand above, on most of my body, and had a dermatologist tell me "You need to learn to live with this."

My young husband, currently working as a graphic designer at the time, started researching when we got home from the doctor ... a man on a mission. The Internet was just emerging so much of this was done in books and on the phone. He narrowed it down, realized that the culprit was in the lotion the dermatologist had given me, and started treating me at home with Aloe. Within a week, my head-to-toe rash was gone.

John suddenly had an epiphany. Maybe kids from blue-collar families could be doctors! Maybe they weren't out of his league. Maybe he would go back to school and be a doctor. 

And the rest is history.

But my skin issue. Ugh! Over the years I have managed to keep it under control until we moved to the farm. Since we have gotten here, I have fought this rash on my hands. It is primarily on my "primary" hand (right hand) which is very typical. 

Anytime I do any major work on the farm (like chicken processing) that requires intense hand-washing, the problem explodes. I actually try to not wash my hands as much as I should to prevent it from erupting. I use a special lotion, will also add steroids, and when it is really bad (like the picture above) I wear a rubber glove all day to keep the lotion and steroids doing their job.

Trust me when I say that we have tried EVERYTHING. All I can do is try not to wash my hands much, wear my glove, and keep chugging away. But man this makes farm work SO frustrating.

*Every time we do not have a WWOOFer and I am in charge of animals, within about two weeks of taking over the work, I throw my back out. I know I have to stop bending at the waist and use my legs. Ugh!



1 comment:

Candy said...

Looks like dyshydrosis. We would use steroid ointment (more moisturizing) and oral prednisone for bad cases like that. Ouch