Tuesday, June 10, 2014

I have a cell phone

I got one.


Hubby got one.


It ended up being a fancy phone because that was really the only way we/they could do the plan we wanted. We got a really low data limit which cut our costs and kept us spending under $100 a month which was my didn't-know-if-it-was-possible goal.


I think I have an iPhone. Hubby said he went with that because it was similar to the iPad so it would ease our learning curve.


The lady at the cell phone place got a real kick out of us. She said she had never met someone who had been cell-phone-less as long as we were. People immediately ask if we have been missionaries. We have to ask people explaining things to us very basic questions and we keep saying something like, "I know I sound like I'm from the stone ages..." or "I know it seems like I must have been living under a rock." Today I heard JB on the phone say to someone, "I know it sounds like I don't know much and that's because I sort of don't."


I plan to turn off data on my phone completely. (First I have to figure out how to do that.) I plan to not answer it when I'm out and to avoid getting sucked into it at all costs. I'll keep you posted on how well I can stay with that plan!


First thing I noticed when trying to type my Mom's name into the phone in my contacts: those little texting letters are really, really small. How do people do it so fast?


I talked to my buddy Kristi in New Mexico today. Received a call from my mom. Touched base with my cousin Sarah (who lives in Nashville.) Kristi said I don't have voice mail set up. I have no idea how to set that up. I'll try to accomplish that tomorrow.


Baby steps.


For now, it feels liberating to feel like I can call people when I want. It is amazing to think most people I know are awake when I'm awake. In a way, it's a bit disappointing as the morning used to be when I'd have a gazillion emails because everyone had been chatting and messaging me while I slept. Not, I get up, and there isn't as much there because people I know are sleeping at the same time as me.


Every day is a whirlwind of adventure for us here!

No comments: