Saturday, June 19, 2010

Learning


JB and I have been watching some travel videos on Turkey we have ordered through Netflix. We just finished our second one.

Tonight I learned that I am going to be living in Asia! I didn't realize that Turkey spans Europe and Asia. Take a look at the map above. We are going to be living near Adana which is basically south central Turkey. But Istanbul (in the northwest) is in Europe. The majority of Turkey is in Asia. Interesting. I had no idea.

We watched them make Turkish rugs by hand! The knotting is unbelievable. Apparently, the more knots per square inch (sometimes up to 600) the more expensive the rug. The only thing I can compare this rug making to is making a friendship bracelet when we were kids, multipled by, like, a bajillion.

I also learned that they produce an incredible amount of hazelnut and that they are the world's largest tea producer. I really wished I liked tea. Apparently Turks drink as much tea as the British and it is offered to you everywhere you go.

Why couldn't they offer chocolate everywhere I go?

1 comment:

camfox said...

interesting! good idea to get the videos.