Friday, July 17, 2009

Not my best day

Yesterday was my first day in this new role as mom, that I just felt like I didn't do my best work.

Not that there haven't been other days that I felt were hard or I didn't do well. But yesterday, seemed to be my hardest.

I'm not sure what it was. A combo of things I guess but basically all stemming from the fact that our house is moving from that of two babies to that of a baby and a toddler.

Firstly, Isaac is moving in the direction of dropping nap #2. They say this happens by the time most children are 12-18 months. He's 14 months so he seems right on track. Problem is, I just can't figure out when he wants to sleep. He acts tired. I put him in his bed. He talks for an hour and never goes to sleep. He doesn't act tired but suddenly gets cranky. Awwww shoot, I betcha he needed a nap. I can't quite get what his new pattern is at all. It's so true that as soon as you figure them out, they change on you.

I glanced through one of James Dobson's parenting books yesterday -- an outline of the first two years of a child's life. Dobson advises that prior to 15 months, parents use "distraction techniques" or the "no" command to steer children from things you don't want them to get into. That prior to 15 months they can't really understand discipline.

Yesterday I learned that Isaac has outgrown the ability to be distracted. While he understand no, he decided yesterday that it was a bad idea. I tried everything to distract him from his desire to hold "Daddy" as he repeatedly calls a picture of JB that we have in his nursery. I have been letting him hold it while I change his diaper. But yesterday he wanted to take it around the house with him. Problem is, it's a frame. It's a fairly nice frame. If he carried it around he could break it or break off pieces of it. It isn't really a child's toy.

But Isaac didn't agree. How do you convince a 14 month old that he can't have something if you can't distract him? I'm really not sure. He just cried and pleaded for what felt like hours.

Maybe he was tired? Who the heck knows.

Those of course, are just a bit of surface scratchers for my day yesterday. I felt like I was five steps behind the boys all day long. I felt like everything timed unevenly yesterday. Most days they get up from their naps at different times, want to eat at different times, need diaper changes at different times. Most days I manage to scatter things so that I can move from boy to boy in a fairly fluid fashion.

Yesterday, everything seemed to fall at the same time. Since Isaac really doesn't understand the meaning of "wait" yet, I was forced to leave him standing there, crying, wanting milk for himself while I was trying to feed Elijah. Or I was forced to leave Elijah screaming in his crib while I finished a meal with Isaac or finished changing his diaper. Add to that my glorious puppy, who decided that yesterday would be a good day to follow me everywhere I went by standing directly in front of me whenever he could. I think he knows when the house is a bit "frantic", grows concerned, and decides he needs to help me. I end up just yelling at him as I move from room to room, a child on each hip, nearly tripping over his huge body. He usually takes the brunt of my bad day.

I went outside when I saw our neighbor trying to call Scrubs over to him. Scrubs had a pricker in his front paw. He always lets me remove his prickers, but with the neighbor's dog playing across the fence, Scrubs couldn't calm himself down enough to sit still. I ended up bringing him into the house and waking up Isaac (who had finally fell asleep for a nap) as I tried to yell Scrubs' name and get him to lay still so I could remove the pricker -- which I never found. Sigh . . .

When I talked to JB in the afternoon, I let loose and told him that I was feeling completely overwhelmed and lost in my day. He asked me why, and I couldn't really tell him. Isaac was a bit cranky. Elijah's naps were a bit scattered. Scrubs had a pricker I couldn't find. Those types of things.

JB told me he'd be home fairly early so I decided to kill the last hour before he arrived with a run. It was the worst run I had had in weeks. I couldn't finish my 3.25 mile trek and was forced to take a shortcut home. Scrubs seemed relieved. I seemed frustrated. I think it was because I drank way too little water in the hustle and bustle of the day. I'm not sure. But it was painful that was for sure.

My husband, the greatest man in the universe, came home and told me he was going to take the boys shopping by himself while I stayed home and got caught up, took a bath, whatever I wanted to do. I thanked him but knew that what he was saying was not really possible. Both boys needed to eat. Both were a bit cranky. When I told him he couldn't handle that, he looked at me and just smiled. "I most certainly can," he said. And truth be told, he could. JB can handle those boys so well and never seems to get flustered.

But I did talk him out of it. Instead, we went to Sams together. On the way home, we both picked up dinner from our favorite spots (JB got sushi and I got Thai.) We also got some dessert, put both kids to bed, and sat and watched the first half of The Bucket List while we ate our food and goodies. JB even did a quick clean-up of the house while I was feeding Elijah his last bottle of the evening to help me get a good start to the day today.

What a guy!

JB told me that even he, "Mr. Calm, Cool, and Collected" would find himself in the midst of a day like I had yesterday if our roles were reversed. This made me feel better. It wasn't just me. I'm not alone in this universe.

So today starts a new day! Pray with me that it is a great one!

10 comments:

ErieContrary said...

Awww Wendi! Sorry for your frustrating day. I feel like I know what you mean with just having "one of those days" that you can't quite explain what's wrong and yet everything was wrong! Hope today is a lot better! Also, what was the James Dobson parenting book that you referred to? I know he has lots like "Bringing up Boys" and so on, but I wasn't sure if there was a general "parenting" one? Just wondering.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Erica, here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Two-Years-Living-Books/dp/0842331573

I suppose it isn't really a "parenting" book but more like a guide to years 0-2.

Tara said...

I'm sorry you had such a tough day. Around 14 months was when I thought things with Charlie got particularly rough, too. Maybe a little earlier. I didn't totally love year 1-2 and the first 5 months of Kaia's life were much like your 9th paragraph every. single. tiring. day. It seems like a tough age because of what they understand, yet don't understand and what they can do, and yet can't quite do. Add to that another little one...

As far as the nap thing, I still have those times when I wonder when he should be sleeping and he's 2. It seems like it should be after lunch, but often he needs to go down around 10:30 or 11:00 and then ends up sleeping through lunch (well, he gets a very late lunch). Often on those days he ends up spending another 30 minutes or so quietly in his crib late in the afternoon (not sleeping). Neither of my kids have been super strict schedule keepers...we more go with the flow and follow a routine more than a schedule.

Hang in there. You are a GREAT mom and you aren't alone in having days like this!!! Yay for JB for being so understanding and willing to help. :)

June said...

Oh, Wendi, I feel your pain, almost literally. We have been having similar problems with my Meredith (she is 1 mo younger than Isaac). She is showing signs of being extremely, uh, "spirited."

I naively thought - when she was a newborn and mothering was so hard, so intense, so much work on so little sleep - that it would be easier as she got older, ate better, slept longer, etc. No, right now, it seems just as hard, but in different ways. Right now, we are dealing with tantrums (she also is not distracted easily) and a surprising level of aggression. She is continually testing limits to the point where sometimes we need 2 adults just for a diaper change - 1 to hold her down (she tries to flip herself off the table) and 1 to change the diaper. We are hearing lots of screaming (and Mom may be weeping a little, too).

Solo parenting (even if it's "only" during the day) is such a tough gig. It really is, and you have 2 so close in age. You are doing very well, Wendi, please don't beat yourself up when you have a day that you believe is not your best work. And don't worry, Scrubs will always love you.

Kelli said...

Unfortunately I don't have any great advice to offer since I havnen't beeen there...yet :)

But the fact that you made it through the trials of yesterday and are still standing, ready to start a new day, is proof that God doesn't give us more than we can handle. I think you're a warrior/rockstar (picture that!) and a fantastic mom! Hope today is better!

Katie said...

I totally agree with Kelli - you did great even if you felt you didn't - you survivied! What a hubby JB is - you make an awesome team!

Just Believing said...

Thank you for such a sweet honest post!!!

Joia said...

I have had a few of these sort of days myself (recently)... tough stuff. It's so hard to know in the middle of it all what the best decisions are...but at the same time I know we both know a ton of people who would Love to be having these days, amen? =)

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

Awh Wendi! Been there done that!

Speak truth to yourself! You are a GREAT mom! You do nothing to neglect your boys. Both of them will have times when they have to wait or you just don't know what to do. It is ok! :) And remember that things can go undone! I say these things to you b/c I also have to say them to myself...even in a different season!

Try to make Isaac the big helper! That may help "distract" him a bit. If you are busy with Elijah maybe you can ask for his help and let him now you will soon get____ for him. I think the more we use the word NO the more it is understood. A practical thought is making up sippy cups the night beofore or early morning. Put cups on his level in the fridge so you could possibly open the fridge quickly and insrtuct/train him to get ONE cup for himself. I just remember our daughter becoming such a BIG girl at 11 months when her little brother arrived! Hang in there. God is on your side. Nothing in your day surprised Him and HIS timing is perfect! LOVE YOU :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Lisa, I actually do that. He can now get his sippy cup at his level. He definitely understands no but not why, of course. Unfortunately, the only thing he knows how to "go get" is a book! :)