Saturday, July 04, 2009

JB gets a cool story again

What a wonderful Friday we had! One reason it was wonderful was that JB was home with us! The Base has numerous "Family Days" throughout the year which usually fall on the Friday before a holiday, but physicians don't always get them. They only get them if they are on a rotation that affords them the opportunity. JB got this one! It is especially nice since he has call on Sunday -- his second weekend in a row. At least he gets two days off before he has to go on call.

Keith and AD headed into Destin this afternoon to meet up with one of her friends who lives in the area. I watched Roddick beat Murray (more Wimbledon) while they were gone! What a great match! I can't wait to watch Roddick play Federer on Sunday.

When they got back, we decided to go to dinner at Tradewinds a very popular "Mom and Pop" Italian restaurant near Base. Pretty courageous with three little ones along. The kids did great, the food was great, and a bit of DQ afterwards was the greatest of all.

Following dinner, we headed back to Base. Wouldn't you know it, but there, on the side of the road, one road over from my morning run encounter with the bear, is Mr. bear again. We had our camera with us so we even got a couple of cool pictures:

JB called the police department, and we stayed there until the cops showed up. He wanted to make sure that they saw the bear in case he decided to wander off again. JB said that I was correct in my morning assessment of both the height of the bear and the age of the bear. I guessed that it was about waist-high (a Wendi-waist mind you) and that he wasn't a baby but he wasn't very old either. JB said I was correct-a-mundo on both accounts. Go Wendi!

The stinky thing is that now JB has a cool story to tell ... again. Shhheeeesh. I thought I was going to be the only one who got to see a cool bear on Base. Bummer. Also, it appears that this bear has been hanging around Base for awhile. Joia and Jodi told me that Sarah told us all at wifia about the bear. I guess I was out of the room during that story! It would have helped me not be so freaked out during my run this morning. Happy Fourth of July everyone! I leave you with a few more photos:

Keith, AD, & Charleigh

Isaac eating one of his favorite foods, watermelon, in preparation for the big holiday!

Elijah and Charleigh hanging out peacefully!


Let's get ready to rumble!

Folks, I think she has him by the hair ... :)

2 comments:

Jess said...

Love the pics of the babies together! :)

Your brother looks ever so slightly like a young Larry Bird. I am always thinking someone looks like someone else, but since my basement is FILLED with larry bird stuff, I really think I might have something here, do you think?

Happy Fourth!!

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

Ha..I agree on the Larry Bird comment.

COOL bear pics! You still saw the bear FIRST Wendi! :)