Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Excess chub and other Colorado adventures

Elijah hanging out with Kelsey while she catches up with some friends.



Kelsey leaves tomorrow morning to head back to her real life. What a wonderful, nearly week, we have spent with her in the mountains. I could not have managed myself and the two boys at the condo without her help that's for sure. Not only do we live on the second floor (with no elevator), but Kelsey is comfortable driving around the area being as she is a local. She is also able to help me walk back up the steep hill that is required of any trips around our condo!

I am blessed in my life by many wonderful friends. But I have a few friends who I can truly open up my heart and soul with. Kelsey is one of those friends. I have been going through a few things lately and Kelsey was able to just listen. To just be my friend. I needed that so much. The moment I saw her, it felt like I was home, even though I was thousands of miles away from the place/s I consider home. It was such a blessing to have her with me during this time.

Our days are fairly similar. Each morning, Kelsey gets up to go to mass while the guys get up to head to their conference. I also get up but not to go anywhere. For me it's bath time, eat time, bottle time, nap time. Then Kelsey comes back and she and I usually attempt at least one activity. One day we went to the park. Another day we went to the little mall. Another day we went to this little gymnasium where they let toddlers play with the balls and play mats. Isaac loved it. He ran from big ball to big ball with a huge grin on his face, talking to the balls in a language only he understands as he went.

After our morning activity, we head back to the condo to meet the guys for lunch. Following lunch, it's naps for the boys (hopefully at the same time). The guys then come back around 5pm, and JB heads to the kitchen to make us all food. He has done some Indian, Mediterranean, and last night some Thai. Last night's dinner was especially fun as we ate it while watching the finale of The Bachelor. Everyone here was cheering for "the chubby guy" and very excited to see a "real man" (not chiseled mind you), win! Go Ed! I haven't watched any of the episodes, but it will still fun to watch the finale, especially with a bunch of people making sarcastic and cynical comments during the entire thing.

Tonight, Kelsey is going to babysit so that JB and I can have a date. We are attending the conference banquet. What a wonderful gift. She stayed an extra day just to bless us with this!

This afternoon, JB had two hours off for lunch. Kelsey and I took the boys and met the guys and a little soup and sandwich place a few blocks from our condo. I had a ham, apple, and brie sandwich. It was fantastic! Afterwards, we let Isaac walk around and play.

Isaac playing. Holding his matchbox cars, one in each hand. Stopping to drive them on any new textures he finds. Rocks. Grates. Cement. Grass. Patting his stomach "please" when a kid nearly knocks him over -- his little eyes saying, "Please don't make me fall down." Walking up a hill hand-in-hand with Daddy. Asking for help walking down. Only asking for help when he really needs you. Striving for independence while not wanting to let you out of his sight. Smiling from ear to ear anytime he sees a "puppy." Waddling up to strangers to show him his cars. Falling down. Getting up. Trying again. Wanting to maneuver up any stairs he sees, but patting his belly if the stairs are too big for him to do alone. "Please hold my hand so I can go up these stairs." Saying please in front of every store to see if we will let him go into that one.

I could watch Isaac play all day. I am amazed, each time I do, that this little boy is our little boy. I don't look at him and think, "There's my adopted son."I look at him and think, "There is my son." My heart wells with love for him.

I think of my friend Becky and Stephanie and others in the early stages of adoption. My heart wells with excitement for them as well. Adoption is soooo cool. Isaac is sooooo cool. I remember asking JB once if he thought we were proponents of adoption simply because Isaac was just the best kid ever. JB laughed. He reminded me of all of our friends who have adopted. They all think that their kid is the best kid ever. So obviously, adoption in general, is pretty stinkin' cool. I can't imagine our lives without Isaac.

This has nothing to do with Colorado. But it is on my mind nonetheless. It also makes me think of Elijah and the fact that he got his first tooth while we have been here. He still isn't eating very much, but he is sleeping better, and as JB said, "It's not like the kid is hurting for calories." So, right, he has a little bit of excess chub "in reserve." I'm sure he'll be fine until we move to a lower altitude on Friday.

All right, off to get ready for our date night.

P.S. Have to put out a Happy Birthday to Ebby! I love you friend!

2 comments:

Kelli said...

1. What an awesome friend you've been blessed with!

2. I want a personal chef with such diverse abilities!

3. It's true...Isaac is sooo cool.

4. Way to go picking out the matchbox cars! They seem to be a big hit!

5. I want pinch Elijah's cheeks - his extra chub is adorable.

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

YAY for friends who bless you with a date night! Glad you get to do this! :)