Tuesday, June 09, 2009

I have to admit . . .

. . . that I get a wee bit frustrated when the National Anthem starts playing when I am in the middle of my run.

For those of you not familiar with our Base, at 7:30am and 4:30pm each day, they play the National Anthem. (And incidentally, they play Taps at 10pm.) If you are outside, you are supposed to stop and put your hand on your heart and wait for the song to play out. If you are in your car, you are supposed to stop driving and wait for the song to finish.

I am very proud to be an American. I am very proud my husband serves in the military. I am very happy to live on Base. However, I have to admit that when the song started today, I really looked around to see if anyone would see me keep running. Stopping 1.5 miles into your run makes it very hard to get started again. If I am walking, I really don't mind stopping, but running is different.In addition, Scrubs gets confused, Elijah gets upset that the motion has stopped, and everyone seems to get crankier as we get ready to start up again. Today, I did look around. I was passing a childcare center. All the little kids were out with their hands on their heart! Shame on me!

Occasionally, it can be a bit difficult to actually hear the song. On those occasions, I have to admit that I have pretended I can't hear it so I don't disrupt my run. Two different times a little kid has stopped me and said, "Mam, don't you hear the National Anthem playing?" If that doesn't make you feel guilty, I don't know what does!

Another thing I try to do is avoid going out right before 4:30. But what do you do when it is 4:00, both boys are fed and changed, and it is the best time to go?

You go. And you stop and put your hand on your heart at 4:30. And then you muster up the gumption to start running again after that.

3 comments:

The Mac's House said...

Yep I remember those days well.

When we got married my husband had to turn around and deploy 2 weeks after I arrived on base. I went shopping for the first time at the commissary by myself, I did NOT know that you were suppose to tip the baggers that helped you to your car. As a civilian I did this myself all the time and tried to tell them that I could take it to the car myself. LOL When I got to the car they waited for me to pay them, egg on my face, and I'm sure it was bright RED because my dear husband as he was shuffling me around to show me everything prior to his leaving never told me anything about that. LOL I sure learned quick about these things including the National Anthem and Taps. I feel your pain. :)

Kelli said...

How adorable those kids must have been with their hands on their hearts!

I think the fact that you're a mom of 2 and you still find energy to run at all is spectacular! Go you!

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

LOVE IT!
We can hear all the songs from base. We really enjoy it...but we don't have to stop 2-3 times a day. But we do like hearing it inside our home! :)