Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Exciting news all the way around!

While the media is brimming with depressing news, there really is good stuff happening! And some of my friends are proof of that. I have two really exciting bits of news to share.

The first is that my "little sister" Kelsey is going into the convent. (Kelsey isn't really my sister, but we have so much in common including our height and basketball histories, that we call each other as such.) She will enter as a postulant for the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia in August! I don't understand all of this, but what I do know is that the first step of many for her to become a nun. She will be in this first stage for two years. Two years that we will not be able to talk to her or see her. We can write to her (and we will!) She can also write to us very infrequently, and we can get updates from her mom.

For those of you who don't know Kelsey, she and I met in Minnesota. She worked with me at the RLS Foundation. She went through a rough bit of life during her two years in Minnesota and ended up moving in with us. She also spent six weeks in Africa with us, Tara, and Ajit, in the spring of 2007. She is truly one of my very dear friends. When Isaac was born, we asked her to be his godmother because we knew that no one would pray for our boy like Kelsey would. For his first birthday we got something from a group of sisters. Isaac is having nine masses a month said on his behalf. Kelsey plans to do this on every birthday which means that by the time he is ten, he'll be having ninety prayers said for him each month. While we aren't Catholic, we are quick to note that prayer is prayer and that our relationship with Christ -- be it protestant or catholic -- is what matters. I have met very few people more in the love with the Lord than Kelsey, and I know she will make a fantastic nun. The only way I know how to explain what Kelsey is about to do is that she is like "Maria" in the Sound of Music right now -- deciding if this is the future for her. (We think it is!) I think sometimes we all sweat the small things. Kelsey and I both love the Lord and the details of that love are not something we feel the need to debate.

We are so excited that we will get to see Kelsey in July before she enters. We are taking a trip to Colorado, and Kelsey is going to stay with us in our condo while JB attends his conference and help me with the boys.

Here is a picture from the last time I saw Kelsey -- November of 2007.




In other news, our friends Dave and Jen have recently adopted a little boy. They are in Ethiopia right now making plans to bring him home. We met Jen through the Baptist church here in town. They had adopted from China and the church put us in touch with them. We are so excited for their family! Isn't this little guy just the cutest?!

In a bit of sad news, my Dad left this morning. The good news is that he is headed in his car to Chicago. Elijah and I are headed to Chicago by plane on Friday so we will get to see him for a few more days. However, Isaac said good bye to Grampa ... and probably won't see him for a few months. I was so blessed by how well Isaac took to my Dad.

Off to Elijah's head appointment. This is the first time I am going AND bringing Isaac with us. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

rachel said...

Wow! That's really exciting about Kelsey! Very neat.

Mary O'Hannigan said...

From one "Go Irish", Catholic girl to another, congratulations Kelsey! Many blessings upon you as you discern your vocation. Thanks for sharing the good news, Wendi.

Amy T. S. said...

Hooray!

Yes.

And, good luck!

TAV said...

i can't imagine when she's in the convent... i can't get in touch with her for the life of me now!! do you have her mom's home number?? she said her cell didn't work in WY.