Sunday, May 24, 2009

27 Dresses

Every so now and then, I get to reconnect with one of the students that I coached or taught. Recently, I've reconnected with Emily D. Emily was one of my favorite students and athletes. She was on my basketball team and in my English class. I am so excited to see how well she is doing in college, in love, in work, and also in what she is giving back to the Franklin community she calls home. Here is a link to her blog: Breakfast at Emily's.

One funny thing about visiting Emily's blog is that she has a link back to mine entitled "Coach K." This was what everyone called me when I coached and taught -- a nickname that the coach who recruited me to come work at Franklin-Simpson, David Clark, gave me. I haven't been called that in about five years! It really makes me miss my old profession. But that's a whole 'nother topic. Someday I'll flashback to my life as a coach and teacher. But this blog is about Emily.

Emily has started a little "organization" that she has called 27 Dresses. To summarize it, young girls can come to her closet and check out donated prom dresses for free. How awesome is this? I wanted to make sure that I gave a little bit of a plug for Emily's non-profit organization. I am sure there are women reading this blog who have old prom, homecoming, or bridesmaid dresses that they are never going to wear again. Why not donate them to Emily in Franklin, Kentucky?

You can contact her by visiting her blog or emailing her at: emily.dillard@wku.edu.

Emily, I am so proud of your love for the Lord and those around you. Keep up the good work!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Coach K! :) I could never imagine calling you anything but that. And you are the only person who ever called me "Em.D." - I always loved that! I hope to see you soon!

Alyssa said...

You'll always be Coach K in my book :)