Sunday, March 01, 2009

Way to go JB!

JB successfully ran his 13.1 miles in under his goal time! Yay JB! We are all so proud of you. According to JB, the weather was even worse than anticipated. Not only was it close to freezing, but the wind was incredibly bad as well. I guess we made the correct decision by not making the drive to Seaside.

The good news is that despite my lack of attendance, I did make out with a Vera Bradley bag. Each race participant received a bag for free. Apparently this is a very cool thing as a few girls JB knows decided to run just to get the bag. I, on the other hand, must be honest. Prior to the race, I had no clue who Vera Bradley was. Apparently, Vera is a pretty big deal.

Those of you who know me personally know that I am not into carrying a purse at all. In fact, I currently carry a very tiny little wallet size purse that I had made in Nigeria. I have, however, recently had to admit that my tiny wallet purse is a bit small. Perhaps Vera Bradley will be my bridge to the dark side of carrying a "mom purse." I'm still trying to negotiate this in my own mind. I promised myself I would never carry a mom purse. I don't want to carry a mom purse. But I am feeling that I sort of need to be able to have a few more items on me than my wallet purse allows. I'll keep you posted on my decision regarding this matter.

Back to this morning . . .

Unfortunately, I also did not make it to church. By the time Elijah awoke for his 5am feeding, I estimated that I had only slept about 4-5 hours. We had done a feed at 8pm and 1am so I slept from about 9pm until 1am. However after that, sleep became a little harder to come by. Not only was Elijah sleeping fitfully after the 1am feed, but Isaac came through on the monitor with quite a few little coughing spells as well. JB slept in the guest room to make sure he got a good night sleep for his race so both boys (and dog) were my responsibility.

By the time Elijah was done feeding at 6am and swaddled with pacifier in his vibrating chair, Isaac was awake. I gave Isaac a bottle, changed him, and fed him breakfast all in time for Elijah's 8am request for food. By 8:30, Isaac was indicating his desire for a return to his bed for a morning nap. Since we'd have to leave for church by 9:40am, I knew that my lack of sleep and first attempt at navigating both babies by myself were probably enough for one morning, and I opted out of attending church. If I had slept better, I think I would have made an attempt.

But all that said, I did do the mom thing all by myself this morning, and if I can say so myself, I did a pretty good job on not a lot of sleep. After working full-time for the last ten years of my life, it is difficult to understand that my job now sometimes includes sitting on the couch and watching Isaac play or holding Elijah while he falls asleep. What wonderful jobs those are.

Anyways, I really just wrote this post to say congrats to JB so I'll quickly end it by saying that again. I am so proud of my hubby for this run! Great job!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendi!

I LOVE vera bradley bags! That's an awesome race gift...I think I should come next year and run that race!! :-)

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

YAY!
I looked for you.
Missed you but it was FREEZING with a bitter wind!
WAY TO GO JOHN! :)

June said...

Congratulations, JB! You are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Wen, you should post a photo of the bag so we can see it!

Good job, JB! :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go, John!
Wendi, I used my VB bag for years (big sis won it for me at school auction) as my overnight bag/carry on tote and finally got so used to it being so convenient that I actually used a it for every day until it literally wore out/ By the way, I used to toss it in the washer and it came out like brand new-just take out the card board inner liner on the bottom. (Have no clue if this is taboo-but it works) Anyway, you'll definitely be in style and if it really isn't "you" re-gift it or do an auction:)
ok-I'll quit now!
love ya, mom k

yuan family said...

I also love Vera Bradley bags...my godmother got me a set of them for graduation and I have been hooked since then! Congrats John on finishing the race!

Anonymous said...

Wendi -- They have a great line of diaper bags too! Eric got me the black microfiber one when we found out we were pregnant with Charlie. It is great because it is large enough for all his stuff and it doesn't look "momish." If it gerts dirty, just wipe and go :)

Erica said...

Wendi, Vera Bradley bags are definitely *NOT* Mom purses. They are awesome! You can definitely swing one of those. :) Congrats to John on finishing his race! I can tell that he looking quite trim in the pictures you have posted over the last several weeks!

Christy said...

I am a tiny purse kinda girl too and having our little girl has made that almost impossible. I got the mom purse for a bit but have switched back to the little purse. :)