Friday, February 13, 2009

Our current life

Some alert moments while hanging with Mom


A nap on the couch

Isaac wearing a bib from Uncle Rob's college: University of Central Florida


JB and Scrubs preparing to go for a run.

Life is pretty ordinary right now. Basically our days are filled with feedings, diapers, naps, and play times. JB and Isaac went to the grocery store this morning, and when he got home, JB and Scrubs went for a run. He is trying to get back on track for his half marathon in three weeks.

As for me, I am busy continuing to rest and recoop while trying to "learn" this new little baby that has entered our home. So far, I think we are getting the hang of things pretty well. While I know it will change again in a week, right now, he is konking out "for the night" around 10pm. He stays down until about 2:30am and then goes back down again until 5:30am. He then takes some very long naps during the day until right around dinner time when he goes on a feeding frenzy again in preparation for his 10pm departure into slumber land.

I am trying hard not to compare Elijah with his big brother, but since his big brother was only a tiny baby himself a few months ago, it is hard not to. Elijah's lung power is much stronger than his big brother's. We have no need for a monitor with Elijah as his cry quickly alerts the whole house! Elijah also takes a bit longer to settle each evening than Isaac did. So far, it seems that Elijah favors the vibrating chair just as Isaac favored his swing. Elijah also likes to be held more than Isaac. Isaac thought the swing was just as good as Mom. Elijah does not feel the same way.

Isaac really disliked having his diaper changed and Elijah agrees! Elijah, however, really hates having a poopy diaper. He will instantly begin crying when there is anything in his diaper. We have also realized how many more dirty diapers a breastfeed baby has over a formula fed baby. Holy cow! Isaac usually had 1-2 dirty diapers a day. Nearly every one of Elijah's diapers leave us a present!

"When it rains, it pours" has also become a common expression in our house. It is amazing how quickly tranquility switches over to chaos. Mom and I will be sitting on the couch while Isaac is playing and Elijah is sleeping and Scrubs is staring out the window. In a moment, Isaac is hungry and Elijah wakes up and Scrubs spots a squirrel he would like to chase . . . while the phone starts ringing. It seems that it is feast or famine here and not much in between.

I have moments when I am encouraged that I can definitely handle all this by myself, when all our help is gone. I have other moments that I think, How in the world will I do this? But I know that as I continue to feel better, I'll continue to see things in a more positive light.

Right now we are waiting for Dad K. to finish his drive in. We are so excited to have him spend the long weekend with us! His grandboys and granddog are very anxious to see Grandpa!

7 comments:

Bethany said...

Anytime you mention Scrubs and squirrels, I can't help but think of when Mitchell tore off after that squirrel by Soldier's Field when we were visiting. He sure gave that squirrel a run for his money.

Don't worry about when your help is gone. It can be difficult to take care of two little ones, but you'll get into a routine and it'll all go smoothly. Don't worry too much about making sure everything is spottless. That'll all come in time. And with you having to heal too (it took me up to 6 mo. before I didn't have any aches from my incision) you don't want to push yourself too much. The boys and you are the priority and then comes the clean house. You have awesome friends there that I'm sure will be willing to help at any time.

Glad you're feeling better.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Bethany, thank you for the encouragement!!!!!!!!!! You definitely know best. I still chuckle whenever I picture Mitchell unable to hold back ... too cute!

Amy T. S. said...

You can do it! (This coming from a mom who had a nanny for 6 months.)

By the way, our breastfed baby pooped about once a week!

Jenny said...

Wendi~ Sounds like you are doing an awesome job with both boys!! I bet you make it all look easy! I am so glad you are feeling better each day. Stunned bladder?? Who knew?
The best advise I can give (unsolicited no doubt..=)) is to turn the ringer off on the phone. Let the machine/voice mail get all of your calls and listen to the messages and make call back's at a later time. Better yet, delegate phone messages and call backs to someone who is not nursing! This one thing probably saved my sanity in the early weeks and I only had one baby.


Thinking about you guys and praying that your recovery continues to go well.

Jess said...

Hehehehe, breastfeed poop, it's so TRUE. What the crap? Why does no one WARN PEOPLE about that? It's insane! And messy! and INSANE!

The second baby, it's always the screamer. This I think is just the way it is. Ethan needs with an intensity that Ava never DREAMED OF and lets us KNOW IT. I'm fond of saying that the one carrying our genetic material would NATURALLY be the terrible child. :)

But then I have a twisted sense of humor.

It'll be crazy when your help leaves, to be sure, but it's so doable. When you're feeling back to normal it'll seem so much better. Truly.

kjames106 said...

The Lord wouldn't give you more than you can handle. I really think that you are going to do wonderfully all alone with your two gifts! You are already doing a great job!

Bethany said...

As far as the breastfed poop, watch out for projectile poop when you change diapers. The stuff will shoot across the room. It happened to me twice. Not fun to clean up. LOL. The boys were like Elijah - a gift at every diaper change.