Friday, July 03, 2015

We Bought a Farm: This is my life


Two different friends posted the above link on my Facebook feed. The author wrote this post for others to understand the life she has chosen to live. 

But what she did in the process was write an article explaining to me the way I have chosen to live. 

She is living the life that we have just begun to start living.

Dirty? Yes I am.
Lots of projects? Uh huh.
Growing our own food? Getting there.
Living a bajillion miles away from everything? Basically.
Escaping from society? A little bit.

Over the last five weeks, I have been bombarded with different thoughts and different emotions. I feel "my people" looking at me with a mixture of "Wow I would love to do that but you are crazy for doing that and I could never do that" all rolled up into one. 

Don't worry.

Most days I feel the same way.

I have tried to put my finger on exactly who we are becoming and what our life will be like now, and the author of this piece summarized it nearly perfectly when she wrote:

The way I see it, modern homesteading is all about mixing the best of the old with the best of the new. 

And that is it. That is our new life. We want to return to a world of simplicity and peace, but we don't intend to drop off the face of the earth in doing it. We plan to continue to shop at stores and get on the Internet and use our dishwasher. 

(Although mine is currently broken, and I am in a great period of mourning about this because I know we have too many things going on to deal with this right now.)

We do not think our life will become less busy. Many people have tsk'ed at me when I've told them about our plan to buy a farm and said, "Well, I used to live on a farm and let me tell you what, your life is not about to slow down."

I roll my eyes.

They are missing the point.

We don't want our life to slow down.

We simply want it to slow down in the right ways.

We want to be home more. We want to be together more. We want to use this farm and our lives for Christ in a real and tangible way. We want to provide friends and family with a big deep breath of country air before they head back to their lives in suburbia. We want to raise our children with hard work and camaraderie and togetherness. We want to be out of the car more than we are in it.

That about sums it up.

Thank you to this author for explaining my own life to me in such a neat and succinct way. 

This is my life. 

And I love it.

No comments: