Friday, July 24, 2015

We Bought a Farm: A Big Week!

It has been a big week here at Bauernhof Kitsteiner. Not only did we add 10 sheep to our farm (click here to see the latest video featuring these ewes), but my husband and his father and our little Abigail are currently on their way back from a pick-up of five little piglets a few hours from here. 

Here's a picture JB posted to Facebook just a few minutes ago:


I must admit that I have taken to farm life much more than I thought I would. The other day, my brother-in-law sent my husband a message with some information about a possible farm machine for sale in his area. JB was walking out the door for work so I did a little research and sent JB a text, explaining why I didn't think this was the piece for us.

JB texted back: "Who are you and what did you do with my wife?"

Yeah. I can see how he'd say that.

This farming thing has always been his idea. I agreed to it it because (a) I knew he'd be crushed if I didn't, (b) I really thought it would be a great lifestyle for my children, and (c) I didn't really have any reason why it was a bad idea.

I had only a few small requests. 
  1. I wanted to be within about 30 minutes of a Target. (We ended up getting within 30 minutes of a Walmart and 1 hour from a Target, but I made the final call that this request could be lessened a bit.) I didn't want to be in the boonies, and while we are definitely removed from town, I feel like town is within my grasp. 
  2. I wanted to move into a place that was "ready" for us. (In other words, I didn't want to live in a trailer for years while we built a house, etc. This place, having four structures and primarily, a house that was relatively move-in ready fit the bill.)
That's really it. That's all I wanted, and I got it.

But as we made plans for farm life, I secretly asked God to help me find my niche. Help me like it. Help me love it if possible. Help me participate and get on board.

For so many years, I almost had to fake interest in my husband's passion for this life. He'd break into a story about a certain animal, plant, mushroom, landscape, and I'd try to listen but would often end up glazed over or even nodding off. 

(Not a good technique for building your spouse up -- let me tell you what.)

But last night we were sitting in the living room, and we had a conversation in which I ended up asking my husband how we could tell a sheep was in estrus.

"Are you really asking me this?" he said.

"I think so," I replied.

"You mean you really want to know?" he asked.

I thought for a second, and then found myself nodding. "Yeah," I said. "I sort of really do what to know."

I've been asking a ton of questions. I have also, thanks to help from my mother-in-law throughout the day, been able to take over nearly 90% of the chores surrounding the animals. And it's because I want to. I really am loving the animals. (Especially the geese. They are currently my favorite.) And I am really loving having a responsibility outside of taking care of my children and my house.

This life is suiting me.

And I'm really happy it is.

No comments: