Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Eggless Cake


Tried this eggless cake the other day, and it was a huge success. Can't say it was the BEST cake I ever had, but I can say that I don't think I would have ever been able to pick it out as not having eggs in it. We will DEFINITELY use this recipe again and try different flavors. 

The biggest news is that our Isaac, who really avoids baked goods in general since so many have eggs, seemed to really enjoy the cake. He said it tasted more like brownie than cake, but he liked it!

I would LOVE to hear from some of my baking compadres who could explain to me WHY I had to follow the directions I did (pictured below.) I did what it said because I am an order-follower and not experienced enough in the kitchen to deviate. However, WHY did I have to make these depressions and then just mix them all together? What is the reason?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say I fully understand it - I followed your link to the website to see what ingredients were being added in the depressions.

When you make a cake from scratch, you typically add various mixtures of ingredients separately and at certain times. Usually the mixture of vinegar and baking soda bubbles, and helps "lighten" the cake - which I think would be especially important without eggs, as I think the eggs also help "lighten" the cake (keep it from being too dense). It's been my experience that you fold in the vinegar / baking soda mixture last, as the reaction doesn't last long.

All that said, I have no idea why you would separate those three liquid ingredients among all the dry ingredients, and then pour water over all of it before mixing. I'm not sure it would matter so much for the other ingredients, but it seems like mixing the baking soda with the other dry ingredients, and the vinegar with water, would lessen the reaction and produce a more dense cake. Which would, in a sense, defeat the purpose of adding them.

Even after talking through it - I don't know! I'm no expert baker, but... that's all I've got. Haha!

shannon

PS - Actually, maybe that's why it seemed more like a brownie than cake?

Chesha Oliver said...

This is the recipe I make as cupcakes for my Nate who has both a milk and egg allergy. We've found that cupcakes work great and prefer the chocolate (bake 20 mins at 350) and lemon (bake 17 mins at 350) options to straight vanilla, which is a little dry. I freeze them united to have on hand for birthday parties or other times, so he can have a treat like the other kids.

Chesha Oliver said...

Uniced - not united!

Jane said...

Here's the vegan chocolate cake recipe I use for my daughter (who also has an egg allergy): http://tastyoasis.net/2014/02/21/the-only-chocolate-cake-you-need-2/

It's super delicious. I use decaf coffee as the blogger suggests and often add more vanilla extract and leave out the almond extract if I don't have it or if there are kids with nut allergies who will be eating it.