Monday, April 20, 2020

We Bought a Farm: Snakes and Homeschooling





We are allowing the kiddos to work through Boy Scout Merit Badges here during this non-traditional time for our country and our world. Sidge wants to do one on reptiles. Part of that was having to catch a reptile and care for it himself. 

Today we got a call from Aunt Hannah. There were two snakes in the rafters of their garage. Grama drove Sidge and Gabe over and they came home with two snakes. 

Now they are working on an aquarium and all the fixings to take care of these snakes.

I promised myself I'd never have a snake in my house again. Never say never. 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I caught a small gopher snake on a sticky board I had out for mice. When I was gently getting him/her off the board with olive oil, the snake very calmly and sweetly curled its tail around my wrist. I feel in love and decided to keep it. I placed it in a very large vase (with a rounded bottom) and headed to the reptile store to buy some pinkies. When I returned, the snake was shedding what looked like parasites. I called the local reptile DVM and she told me two things....1) wild snakes do have lots of parasites and 2) because it's wild, it would probably not live long. She suggested I get one from the reptile store. So I let it go to chase mice outside and scrubbed out the vase. Blessings, BelleMara ;)