Friday, April 17, 2020

We Bought a Farm: Moving Dirt

Will Rogers once said: "The farmer has to be an optimist or he wouldn't still be a farmer." 

I have often said that the thing about farming that was one of the hardest things for me to learn was this: 

Plan A seldom works.

I don't mean that in a pessimistic way. I mean it in a factual way. So much of a farmer's day is spent doing something the longer/slower/harder way because the shorter/faster/easier way didn't pan out.

Take some dumpings of dirt. We hoped we would be able to drive it RIGHT where it needed to go. Only we couldn't get the 4-wheeler to agree to this request. So instead, we had to drop it on the driveway and wheelbarrow it to where it was supposed to go. An extra 3-4 hours of work for sure.

In these videos below, I share the journey. Note my amazing understanding of farm work and the lingo and facts. (NOT!)





No comments: