Saturday, April 11, 2020

Quarantine Memories


I am convinced that these memories we are making during this unprecedented event in our lives will be some of our favorites. 

Years from now we will smile and say: 

Hey, Jessica. Remember that time you showed up for Hannah Kotynski's baby shower?! We couldn't invite you into the house. In fact we couldn't invite anyone in. We were filming it live on Facebook for people to watch. But you weren't offended. You dropped presents in the middle of the driveway and we hugged from afar. We teared up as we talked from well over six feet away, and you didn't bat an eye when I told you I would have to wipe down everything you brought before we took it into the house.

And what you brought to celebrate Hannah? Toilet paper. Dish detergent. Toothpaste. Wipes. Who would have thought these would be the type of things we were really valuing receiving at a baby shower. But oh how they are!

(I snapped a photo of the items drying after we wiped them down on the porch.)


You brought me some candy, Jessica. Remember that? Easter candy of which we had none. And a cake for me. Small little gestures. Little hugs from afar. 


Oh how I missed seeing you everyday at ballet. But it felt comforting to know that you were missing the same things that we were. I wish you could have seen the toilet paper cake Grama made. Who needs a diaper cake during a pandemic?!


This time is stressful. Emotional. Scary. Lonely. But folks this will change us for the better. I'm sure of it.

No comments: