Saturday, April 25, 2020

Who we "were" during the Pandemic

I want to remember us during this time. So here is who we are right now:
Isaac: Isaac will turn 12 next week. Currently I'm in love with this kid's introverted nature, his dry jokes about not wanting people around and just hilarious subtle, quiet humor in general. He's been playing a lot of Chess and beating me regularly. He's growing up and is maturing a ton. We have conflicts a lot less because truthfully, he's pretty mature for his age and usually very reasonable. He really has very little problem with the fact that we stay home outside of his opportunity to go to the store and see the latest Hot Wheels collections. He is a Dad's boy to the core, and he struggles when John isn't around.
Sidge: Sidge turned 11 in January. He is a bull in a China shop all the time. He moves faster than he should because he's always five steps ahead of everyone. He is so passionate about so many things and never afraid to share how happy or frustrated he is. We've noticed him getting stressed out during all of this. As is often the case, he picks up on other's people stress and it affects him. We've helped him by really easing up on schoolwork and trying to make each day just a learning day -- not doing particular learning things. He especially loves animals, Wingspan, anything nature, and spending time with his Dad.
Abigail: Abigail will turn 9 in July, and she continues to amaze me with how she has emerged from her shy-shell. She is not afraid to sing loudly, make silly jokes or gestures, and is constantly moving. She is so much older than 9 in my mind, and we often expect so much more from her than her age should allow. She loves spending time with her cousins Ana and Kari, and they all get along so well nearly all the time. (I can't remember a single fight during this whole pandemic -- at least so far.) She loves ballet and gymnastics, but she doesn't love doing ballet nearly as much by herself. As long as a cousin is with her, she has no problem doing her workouts. She loves hugs and snuggling, and will come to John and I for different things depending on her need.

Hannah: Hannah is 6.5 right now and she just lost both her front teeth. Since she doesn't smile showing her teeth (just like her dadd) she had to squiggle up her nose to take this picture and show me her teeth. She cries hard and often and comes to me for hugs and comfort regularly. She's reading like a crazy girl and loves to be with her cousin's Genevieve and Eoin. She is precocious as ever and is the kid who complains the most right now about not being able to go anywhere. I'm convinced she's probably the only true extrovert in my children. Her voice is still high-pitched and squeaky and she wants me to sing "Rockabye Baby" each night and hold her in my arms and rock her. 

John: John is 44 during this pandemic and the co-director of a small rural Emergency Room in Greeneville, TN. He is trying to manage taking care of 13 people here on the farm and running the ER, and to be honest, he is weary. Hours and pay have been cut because the ER has had very low volume. But the people who are coming in, are sicker and the stress of keeping himself and his family safe and wearing uncomfortable equipment for 12 hours in a row, intense. He is also dealing with a lot of "helping others" when he comes home because our friends and family need him right now. He is truly the strongest and most amazingly devoted family man I know. I would be lost without him.
Wendi: I am turning 43 next month, and I'm starting to become aware that I'm now a forty-year old and not the 30 year old I feel like in my mind. I have been struggling with discipline for one of the first times in my life. I just want to eat what I want to eat and not spend the time with the Lord I need to and sometimes it shows. But mostly, I am doing well. I've worked hard to get good sleep and take care of myself as there are a lot of people around me struggling right now. I continue to be the "Farm Manager" which can be a bit exhausting sometimes, but I try to take it in stride and keep morale up the best I can. I'm very, very proud of my husband right now. He's a rock.

No comments: