Friday, June 17, 2011

Swim lessons.

Yes, I got in line last week at 5:45am to get the boys into swim lessons. I was told I would have to be there as soon as the pool opened to get them in, and sure enough, that proved true. By 6am, when the doors opened, the line was dozens of people long. But I had a spot in the "Mom-and-me-Class" for both boys.

Only there are two boys. And there is one mom. They are in the same class. So Veronica is helping me. And I'll recruit JB when he is here. And Joni. And Grama Di and Papa too. We'll make sure there are two "parents" there for these lessons. Life with my "twin" boys. I love it!

First lesson was on Wednesday. And I received a new "adoption-related" question with the start of class. When the teacher (Ms. Michelle) looked at the boys' birthdates on her little student guide, she asked me if they were related.

"Yes, they are related," I said, not offering any additional information purposefully. I've been much more hesitant about bringing up adoption as Isaac has gotten older in front of him. I really want it to be something he decides to talk about.

"Are they brothers?" she asked still furiously scanning her paper.

"Yes, they are brothers," I said, leaving it at that.

She looked again at their birthdates. She was mentally calculating in her head. You can tell she was a smart lady and that this was not computing. She smiled at me again. "Are they step-brothers?"

At this point, I felt compelled to reveal how their birthdates are only eight calendar months apart. "One is adopted and one is biological," I smiled.

She looked relieved. As if I had taken a weight off her shoulders. I'm not sure why it was so important to her, but it was.

And then class began. Veronica held one. I held the other. And I couldn't help but wonder how I got here. From five years of infertility to 2.5 kids with me in the pool.

Way cool.

Not step-brothers. Real brothers. From two different mothers.

2 comments:

jenicini said...

You are so gracious. None of your business lady! :D Glad you got in the class and that you are holding strong!!

Faith said...

Yep, get those questions ALL the time - SO wish people just didn't notice because I just don't know how to handle it all the time. And, truly, it's none of their business. What does it matter to her how or if they are related or how they came to your family? Buzz off, lady! Sorry, must be my mood today, lol!

I am also wanting to get into swim lessons with my babies- same issue - gotta find a time when another adult can come with me. And with only one place to go here in town, if I can't find someone for their time, I just can't do it. Aaahhh, life with "twins":). How did I get here?!:) We are so blessed!