Friday, June 03, 2011

Sister Kelsey

Some of you may remember my dear friend Kelsey from Minnesota. Her life has changed a lot in the last few years. She is actually now in her second year in a convent in Nashville and goes by the name Sister Joan of Arc. Of course, I still call her Kelsey, but that is truly no longer her name.

Kelsey is not allowed to get on the computer or talk on the phone or have any conversation with the outside world other than through letters during year 2 of her 7 year convent "training." Each year involves different rules so I don't know if year 3 will bring new "rules," but for now, that is how it is.

I try to write Kelsey as often as I can. I also print my blogs out and send those as well. She jokes that she is a better blog reader now then she was when she had computer access. Her letter writing comes a little more infrequently as she is limited in how often she can write people depending on if they are family or non-family.

Anyways, I say all that to say that JB told me via SKYPE the other night that we had received another letter from Kelsey. Since these don't come that often, I get very excited. He decided to read it outloud to me.

And here is where my story gets very interesting.

The letter was dated, Thursday, May 19th. Now if you remember back, it was Monday of that week I started having contractions. It was Wednesday that I flew to Germany. And it was Wednesday evening that I went to L & D here in Germany with the worst contractions to date. So imagine our surprise when Kelsey wrote in her letter on May 19th that she had been woken up the night previously with vivid dreams about a pregnant woman in premature labor and felt that she had to pray for me and write me! Holy cow! She got up and was praying for us.

The day we left for Germany (May 18) I sent Kelsey a letter telling her what was going on. I wrote "prayer request" on the outside as she told me that this assures it will get to her faster. But by the time she mailed me her letter, my letter had not arrived. Man this letter writing thing gets confusing as news gets crossed in the mail. I can't wait to hear from her, and what she got from the fact that she had this dream the night I was in the hospital in Germany.

Coincidence?

I doubt it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you go to Germany on Thursday the 19th?

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I don't think so. I spent Monday in the hospital. They let me go on Tuesday morning. And we flew out on Wednesday morning? But I could be wrong. Maybe it was THursday? It's blending.

John K (Temperate Climate Permaculture) said...

Let's clarify things a bit:

Wendi started having contractions on Monday afternoon (16 May). We spent the night in the hospital Monday night (the 16th). We were sent home in the evening on Tuesday (17 May). Kelsey was having a dream on the night of the 17th, and woke up feeling the need to pray for Wendi on the 18th. Wednesday (18 May) was the one day we needed for Wendi not to have contractions (or have them too bad) so that we could get her to Germany - and she made it. We left for Germany on Thursday (19 May).

This is more than coincidence to me.

JB