Monday, November 24, 2008

Wendi goes shopping

Yesterday I did something that I have never done.

I went shopping. For Thanksgiving. By myself. Seriously.

If you don't know me well, you may not know certain things about me. For instance, you may not know that I am not the cooker in our family. I am also not the grocery shopper.

Those activities are primarily reserved for my husband.

I can do minor cooking. Like last night, I made pancakes for dinner since my hubby was too sick to cook. My other favorites include grilled cheese, pizza (the pre-made kind of course), and macaroni and cheese. Oh and I can make a pizza casserole with like four ingredients. Ummm, that's about it I think.

(Thus the reason that the taco ring was a monumental achievement in the life of Wendi and completely blog-worthy.)

Don't get me wrong. I do some grocery shopping. But usually it is the "absolutely necessaries" type of grocery shopping. You know the kind. It's the run-in-and-out-and-get-the-couple-of-things-you-really-need-to-make-it-through-the-rest-of-the-week type of shopping. Usually this list includes things like toilet paper, milk, or eggs.

The major grocery shopping is reserved for my husband. I often go with him, but my job is to push the cart, remind him that we've been there a very long time, and pick out the cereal I like. In Minnesota we had a Super Target. This was fantastic for me. I would go and browse the rest of the store and come back just as my husband was finishing in the produce section. He loves the produce section!

So you can imagine how huge it was for me to not only go and do all the grocery shopping but to go and do the Thanksgiving shopping. JB's illness meant that I, Wendi Kit., was forced to venture into the Commissary yesterday to do . . . gulp . . . THANKSGIVING SHOPPING!

You should have seen how long it took JB to go over his list with me before I left the house. He gave me detailed instructions about what he needed including how to pick out different types of produce.

The instructions also included drawings of the peppers he needed so I would make sure to get the right ones. I kid you not.

We are planning on having my parents, Philip and Joia, and John and Becky over for the big meal. Figuring JB completely recovers, we realized we are running out of time to get our shopping done. Thus, the decision was made that Wendi would make an attempt at the unbelievably busy aisles of the Commissary . . . by herself.

All in all, I did pretty well. They were out of a few things, and I couldn't find a few things, and I forgot a few things. I also gave up on a few things when I remembered I forgot them. (I didn't have the strength to try to go against the flow of traffic and maneuver my way back through aisles I had already passed.) But all in all, I left with a good majority of the things we needed. A quick run to Publix later sealed the deal.

Mission accomplished!

Today, JB stayed home from work. This is the first time, in the 10.5 years we have been married, that I ever remember JB missing a day of work (or school) for illness. Actually it's the first time in the 15.5 years we have been "together" that I remember this happening.


I guess that's proof of how cruddy he is feeling.


He was hopeful that after resting all day Saturday and Sunday, he might be able to get back to work today. But losing Sunday for the delivery cost him valuable rest, and he just could not muster up the strength to go into work today. After a full day on the couch, he is looking much better, and is hopeful that he will be head down to Pensacola tomorrow afternoon to return to the grind.

Our little Isaac is still not as giggly and smiley as usual, but he does seem to be getting back to his good ol' self as well. I, however, am completely back to myself. Actually I can honestly say that I feel better now, at 30 weeks pregnant, than I did in my mid 20's. I really think the Lord has given me a renewed sense of vigor! I really needed a pick-me-up.

All right, time to end this blog and put the pre-made pizza in the oven! Wendi's cooking two nights in a row AND she did Thanksgiving shopping!

Wow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha! i'm laughing b/c you and i are opposite and hans and john are opposite. i LOVE the grocery store. hans is the official "cart-pusher" in our family. but, shhh...don't tell him that i secretly enjoy going by myself the most! i was craving john's indian cooking the other day. we need to make another trip to eglin, i think... :-)

Anonymous said...

Yay, for a job well done! John definitely takes after his Dad as to never missing work-He must have really been hit hard with that bug.
Hopefully, you all will be feeling great when your Mom and Dad get there and have a terrific visit!
Bask in your accomplishment and get some rest:)
ps: I wouldn't have gone back thru the line at the commissary, either!!
mom k

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Rachel, JB feels the same way. He much prefers to adventure alone ... I cramp his style!

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

LOL...I am with you. I would so be there with you if I could be. I used to me. My hubby just cooks better than!

I miss the commissary.

Hope John feels TONS better soon.
Glad y'all are hosting a big meal. Fun! :)

TAV said...

i hope jb gets well soon. i'm with you, wen. i HATE the grocery store. ugh. glad i don't have to do any thanksgiving shopping!

Anonymous said...

Good job, Wendi! Also, kudos to you for braving the Commissary yesterday - I was there too, and it was INSANITY!!

suebaby said...

I actually laughed out loud when I read this because it is exactly like me and my husband... Keith won't even have me pick out produce or meat, because I might not get the right kind or find the best bargain! I too, rather enjoy not being the cooker or the shopper, and I as well, get a little nervous when the rare occasion calls for me to do a full shopping trip. So, way to go, Wendi! Impressive!