Thursday, April 24, 2008

My t-shirt quilt

I have wanted, for as long as I can remember, a t-shirt quilt. I had over two hundred t-shirts, collected from my years playing high school and college sports. Over the last ten years, I have managed to whittle that collection down to about 40-50 shirts that I just could not, for sentimental reasons, live without. So then the question. What to do with 40-50 shirts that I can't really wear anymore? Most are too large being or too tattered or too inappropriate (picture me going to the grocery store in my old WKU jersey!) to ever be worn in public again, but yet I just couldn't throw them away.

For the last few years, I have been saving up gift money to purchase a t-shirt quilt. My mother-in-law gave me the last bit of it for Christmas this year, and a few months ago, I decided to finally go for it. There are a lot of companies that make these quilts, but I went with Deaf Initiatives, a program designed to help deaf individuals find employment opportunities.

Well my quilt came back today. I love it! It's hard to capture it on film, but here is my best attempts. (I know Joia would do considerably better!)




9 comments:

yuan family said...

That is awesome! It makes me wish I had saved all of my old vball shirts!

TAV said...

love the quilt!

Rachel and Hans said...

That is a sweet quilt Wendi.

I was thinking, it would be nice if someone would throw you a baby shower or get you some baby presents. I kind of feel that no one cares XY is coming soon.

Hans

Anonymous said...

At lady at church made one of my gymnastics t-shirts and leotards for my graduation...I understand what you mean about t-shirts having sentimental value :)

Anonymous said...

That is awesome. I had never thought about putting jerseys on there.- Jaime

AW said...

LOL@Hans

Wendi, the quilt is beautiful! Would you mind sending me the info for where you sent the quilt? This is inspiring me to do something with all of Neil's t-shirts that he can't part with.

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is awesome, Wen! What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

This is so fun! I have Never seen one of these before - what a great idea! =)

Amy T. S. said...

That is a great idea. It's hard to part with sports shirts you earned. I think most of mine (swimming, water polo, and the occasional fun run) are long gone and I'm not sure where. That's awesome!