Monday, July 30, 2007

Sweet Sunday

Yesterday we discovered, our Scrubs loves the ocean. Not just the ocean but swimming in the ocean.

We are only about a five minute walk to the bay. It's a gorgeous little beach area just one block over from our house. We've taken Scrubs there a few times, and he's avoided the waves as much as possible -- dancing in and dancing out as the waves crash on shore. Yesterday, JB waded into the water up to his shins and suddenly, Scrubs just jumped in and starting swimming all over the place. He loved it! Of course, it is salt water which means he would need a bath later, but for the time, we were just loving watching Scrubs enjoy the water.

Speaking of other things Scrubs loves, he loves my slippers. But that's another story.

We returned yesterday to Rocky Bayou Baptist church. JB had been up since 2:00 in the morning with failure to return to sleeping during the night. So after the service I asked him what he thought. John's exact words to me were, "I don't think any assessment I made would be fair since I was asleep for 90% of the service." I didn't even attempt to keep the poor guy awake. When the pastor gave an impromptu request for people to kneel over their pew, we both bowed. But while I was praying, I am pretty much sure JB was sleeping. We both agreed that the church will need a third visit before we can accurately assess whether it was for us or not.

One thing that was kind of nice was that in this large sanctuary, we happened to choose a seat next to a woman I had met taking Scrubs for a walk the other day. Her name is Tracy N. She is married to a physician that JB had lunch with back in August who is a wonderful Christian man. He is currently halfway though a four month deployment. She has four sons and lives only a few doors down from us. She also introduced us to a couple behind us who live just a few doors down from us on the other side. They have one son and two five-year-old labs. It was wonderful to meet more neighbors.

John desperately wanted to sleep the day away, but I stood firm! I only allowed 90 minutes knowing that another afternoon sleep would only cause another sleepless night. We had a wonderful Sunday together doing odds and ends around the house and just relaxing together. We ended the evening watching Men of Honor (pretty good) and eating some Thai food and then some cookies I had picked up to bake for our "date night".

We had thoroughly ran Scrubs into the ground during the day! Not only did he go on two walks yesterday, but we hung out at the beach area for quite some time just letting him run all over the place. We then gave him a bath and trimmed his nails and allowed him to ride with us to pick up dinner. As a result, he slept on the couch next to JB during the entire movie. It was so sweet to see him so calm. He continues to have dreams where it appears he is nursing, as he starts sucking repeatedly for about five minute segments. JB wasn't sure what he was doing so he slid his finger into Scrub's mouth and sure enough, Scrubs starting sucking away. It is hilarious but sort of makes me sad that he probably misses his mom. Afterwards, John took him out one last time and then the pup slept straight through the night -- well until 5:00 when John wandered out of bed. It is great to have a partner at home to help me tag team the dog a bit. It adds a whole new perspective of enjoyment when I can allow someone else to help with tasks.

We are thinking that JB only has a half day of work today, but we will believe it when we see it. That being the case, I am going to get to work so as to buy myself some off time later this afternoon. Have a great beginning of August.

3 comments:

David and Lesley said...

Hi! Congratulations on getting to go to the beach with your hubby and your puppy. What an idyllic weekend! :)

AW said...

Speaking of other things Scrubs loves, he loves my slippers. But that's another story...

No pics of Wendi's slippers like the puppy pads??? :-)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

So far, I've caught him early enough, but as soon as we let him out of the kitchen, he IMMEDIATELY goes to my office to ascertain where my slippers are. If they are in within grab, he grabs and then bolts for somewhere I won't find him. It's really cute. So far, they haven't been destroyed. :)