Sunday, July 01, 2007

Watching lightning strike

Yesterday, while sitting in Sonic, ordering some take-out for Brianna, the lightning storm we were watching got up-close-and-personal. The largest "boom" I think I have ever heard was followed by a massive crowd of people near the overhang at Sonic. Then, we smelled something, instantly, burning. I let the doctor go take a look while I stayed safely put inside our car. He came back telling me that no one was hurt but that the lightning had struck one of the umbrellas in the eating area. I turned around and sure enough -- an unusable umbrella remained.

I came home and told Brianna that we almost died getting her a breaded chicken sandwich and strawberry slushie. She laughed but was mostly glad we came home with the food!

Speaking of Brianna, I actually took a picture of her and JB as he was grilling yesterday. However, I accidentally saved the picture to my internal memory card on my camera instead of the memory card itself. I can't figure out how to get those pictures off my camera now without the little cord I lost in Africa. So, I think the only way anyone can see those pictures is to see me camera itself. I'll take some more pics today so you all can see Brianna and how grown up she is (seventeen folks!) and also because I want to try to keep a "photo guest book" of everyone who visits us in Florida while we are here. I'd like to keep the guest book both on the blog and in a real, not-electronic book. We'll see how much my plans stay on track.

Speaking of the blog, did you all see the playlist I added to the side of the blog? I cannot take credit for this whatsoever. Kristen taught me how to do this. Anyways, you can click on a song and it will go through the whole play list. I have picked some of my current favorite songs. I also included the song my brother had on the CD at his wedding. It's called: "Short People". Please know that I don't really feel that "short people have no reason to live". However, the song is hillarious on a tall girl's blog (I think). And if you know my brother, you'd laugh even harder hearing this on his wedding CD. So if you are at work or at home and have speakers on your computer, just click on any song and the whole set of songs will start playing. Thanks Kristen for letting me copy you!!!

Yesterday, we decided to celebrate our adoption getting approved by buying furniture! We wanted to wait until all our financial paperwork was approved before spending money. Around 1:30, JB and a few other interns and their families joined us at the beach. It was sort of a cruddy day for the beach. It was rainy, the water was laden with seaweed, and the new Air Force-only beach had a water problem and there were no showers or toilets. However, it was still a wonderful day connecting with everyone. John's fellow interns Cliff (wife Jodi), Matt (wife Tiffany and son William), Philip (wife Joia and son Keenan), and Eric (wife Andrea and son Johnathon) were all there. I need to take pictures of these families so my long-distance friends are able to keep track of the new friends we are making. These are wonderful people! We are so blessed to have such fabulous people in our Eglin-circle.

Okay, so that has nothing to do with furniture ... sorry.

After the beach day, we ran home, showered, and headed to Haverty's. (This is the part where I talk about furniture.) On the way there, we decided that in addition to buying the couch / love seat / chair / ottoman that we had picked out, he also wanted to buy me the dining room table and chairs we had fallen in love with. I balked at this idea as it was much more than we had wanted to spend. (Remember Mom H and Mom K the pretty one with the tile at Haverty's? It's that one.) But he talked me into it! The furniture will arrive next week! I will be sure to take photos for everyone. We also realized that this is the first time we have bought "real" furniture for our house. We've bought some cheapy stuff in the past. But this is the real deal!!!!

Later that evening we headed over to Erik and Andrea's for some pizza, salad, and dessert. It's the last weekend before all the interns start "real work". The same group showed up plus Shannon and Rob, two other interns. Tomorrow they will be seeing patients.

For now, I'm going to sign off and get ready for church. We are going to try a popular Methodist church that Matt and TIffany have decided to attend. Brianna leaves tomorrow. It's been great to catch up with her again. She said as long as I have a computer and TV, she's content and that definitely seems to be the case! :)

1 comment:

TAV said...

Yay! Breakfast reading material :) It's weird to have non cheapy-furniture! My dad also talked me into that nice futon/sleeper thingie and pub table, but I'm really glad I got them. I can't wait to see your awesome furniture! Bring on the pictures!