Friday, July 06, 2007

A moment of silence

A moment of silence please in memory of ... the couch. Unfortunately we don't know the date of its birth as it first lived in the home of a family with three children which has resulted in an unfortunate loss of toys that have since reemerged every time the Kit's move to a new home. This trip, a Disney book, a hair brush, and a few figurines emerged from the hidden places of the big brown couch.

The couch has made five moves with the Kits and is survived by its two end pieces (more on that in a moment.) It was preceeded in death by the corner piece of the couch which was retired early last year when it became too broken to be fixed even one more time.

Yesterday it made its last move. It made the move to the big hill the next county over. The picture above illustrates the sad wait on our front lawn -- a wait for the trash man to put it in its final resting place.

All right, I'll be honest because I know some of you detail oriented people are thinking, "I remember that couch being a lot bigger."

A small portion of the couch is in my office (the two surviving end pieces). I need a more "homey" feel and dog-gone-it, the worn brown couch feels like home.

Tomorrow, Saturday, a new couch will arrive and take its place. I could say I was sad. BUT I'M NOT!!! I AM SO EXCITED TO GET A NEW COUCH.

JB and I realized that in nine years of marriage, our only furniture "purchases" have been:
  • One used baker's rack -- $50 (yard sale)
  • One used kitchen table -- $50 (yard sale)
  • One new mattress -- $375
  • One dresser -- $100 (Lowe's)
  • One couch -- FREE (from the Essig's)
  • One bookshelf -- $100 (Lowe's)
  • One lazy-boy -- $50 (yard sale)
  • One endtable -- $25 (Goodwill)
  • One entertainment center -- $100 (damaged goods store)

Are you noticing a pattern here? We have never, truly, other than our mattress, bought a single piece of real furniture. It is time that we did. Tomorrow, our house will be transformed, and I cannot wait.

I'll be sure to post pictures. Don't worry.

Oh, and on a completely separate note, I should tell you all that my husband, was, right again. My headaches have completely dissapeared since ceasing all pain medication. WHATever.

6 comments:

yuan family said...

Yay for your headaches going away and for new furniture!! I am so excited for when we get to buy some ourselves...I completely understand why you are so excited!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the furniture. I especially love the table; can't remember if we saw the couch or not but it looks really pretty and comfortable. Are you getting tables for the seating area, too? Great news about the headaches! I totally empathize with you on this. Headaches are a big pain!!

TAV said...

Sniff, sniff. Bye-bye, Kitsteiner couch of consolation. I spent many an evening pouring my heart out while sitting on that couch :). I have to say that I very much approve of your past furniture purchases, but I'm excited to see your new stuff. And was there a reason the JB being "right" was in teeny, tiny font? :)

Anonymous said...

No flowers?

Anonymous said...

and the caffeine to tide you over -even with a lack of sleep helped too! I know it's helped Ed....so caffeine isn't all bad -could be cuz i'm drinking a cup right now i say that!
What fun to wait 9 years for something and so enjoy and appreciate it all! God is so good! you are a joy! :) i miss ya! But it helps me to know you are in your office alone at home while i am too -you should see how homey mine is! :)love

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Really small print?! What?! I never noticed that ...

Mom K., tables in the living room will have to wait for now. Staying with the minimum, and quite a minimum it was. :)