Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Month one Internship Year

Blog perusing can reveal some interesting facts. Fact revealed this morning? Internship year is HARD! I just got through reading a flew blogs. See if you can look at these blogs and find something in common. First there was Tara's blog. After that I went and read Lesley's blog. Done with that, I wandered over to Hans' blog for the day. It was after reading that blog that I realized that our little house in northern Florida isn't the only one having difficulty adjusting to residency. Man do we miss medical school! (I say all this like I am doing it myself. Some days I feel like I am.)

I have tried, hard, to refrain from complaining about the last two weeks. As I have said previously, things are going well. Complaining doesn't really help anything. It definitely doesn't help JB to hear me complain. Aaaah, but sometimes it just feels good to get something off your chest. So here it is.

This internship thing, and being an intern's wife, is HARD!

I know I am not an actual resident. Or do you call it intern? Technically the first year of residency is the internship year so let's call it that. I know that I am not an actual intern. I don't feel like these interns feel. But I have been observing my rock of a husband take on a month of OB. You all know JB. He is even Steven. The guy handles everything with the same stride. But this month has been quite challening for him. OB Nights especially have been difficult. I am so thankful that this is only going to last two weeks because I am not sure either of us can take a second more. We have minutes together each day. Seriously, minutes. And that includes Scrubs and I walking out to the driveway to wave good bye. (Scrubs is one unhappy camper when JB leaves for the day.)

Tara wrote about errands and groceries and exercise. You are right Tara. There is no way in the world JB could do those things. He is doing well enough to give me a hug, pat the dog, shower, and fall into bed at the end of every shift. I really am not sure he is eating much at all. He'll eat a meal with me at 5pm before he leaves again, but quite frankly, that may be all he is getting. I'll have to ask him.

I have already decided that during JB's next night shift (in January), I will be going to stay with my parents in Florida (and possibly take my pup with me). It would honestly be easier on John if I weren't here so he didn't have to force himself to stay awake to spend a few minutes with me. I honestly, have no idea how Dave and Lesley are doing this. At least I am home whenever JB is home. They are both doing an internship on two different schedules. Lesley isn't even sure what day it is. Man. (And it's Thursday today Lesley.)

I have been told that this month that JB is currently doing is the hardest during internship year. That is an encouragement. (And I am sorry if it is a discouragement for the other intern wives reading this blog.) Tiffany revealed that her husband Matt has OB nights during Christmas. Her parents are coming into town, however, which will be a great blessing.

Next month JB will be home every night, but he will be commuting to Pensacola (1:15 minutes away) for the entire month. They have an arrangement with a hospital there to do a rotation. At least he will be home every evening although he will be gone some very long hours when you put in a nearly 3 hour commute.

Don't get me wrong. Folks, I am not bored at all. Both of my jobs have had a little "upheaval" recently. At Mayo, the assistant my physician hired to take over my in-office duties just left on maternity leave. Actually she had twins and actually she had an 18-month-old son at home. So I have to take over a bunch of her duties. At RLSF, the person I work with the most, Beth, is taking a month off to move and just relax for a little bit. So I will have a lot more responsibilities with her gone as well. So, I am quite occupied. I could honestly work another 10 hours a day and not run out of things to do. If I am not running or working with the dog, I am at my computer, editing and writing away.

But I just miss JB. I really miss him. I especially miss him at about 6pm. I just miss hanging out with him. I know this is just a season and like me during basketball season, the season will end, but I just want to have him home more.

So fellow interns Tara, Hans, Dave, Lesley, and others ... it's just a season. Stick with it. And know that our home in northern Florida is plowing through too. We'll all plow through together and in three years (four for Tara, five for Dave), you all will come out just fine. I know that for sure!

4 comments:

Ryan & Katie Myhre said...

amen, wendi! glance over at our blog http://thebusiestyear.blogspot.com for yet another testimony!

Love, Katie and Ryan

Anonymous said...

It has been really good (scary, intimidating...) reading your experiences while John has been doing nights. I'm glad I'm getting Some idea of what it's going to be like! I'm actually making plans to see if my mom can come for part of the time that Philip is on nights in October! Thanks for the heads up!

Rachel and Hans said...

I think the hardest thing for me, wendi, is being so far from Hans and not be able to do ANYTHING to help him. More than anything I wish I could be with him so I could cook for him, clean for him, run errands, etc. Yeah, I sound like I'd make a really good 1950's housewife, but right about now, that sounds awfully good to me! I hate feeling so helpless!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Katie, yeah, I had read your's. Since you are non-existant posting, I got the idea that you are busy too!!!

Joia, I would STRONGLY suggest having some company during these two weeks or taking a trip yourself. I think it would make it MUCH better. I won't be here for two weeks again in this fashion.

Rachel, that makes perfect sense. Maybe you could go make some frozen meals and tupperware them for him! ;)