Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My Office & Adjustments

Here is a picture of my "new" office. A little more homey then the first few weeks I was using it. The couch and a plant really seemed to help.



I'm having trouble getting the artwork above the couch to stay put. The walls are cement, and in certain locations, impossible to get nails through. Thus, I've resorted to other efforts that have not proved very successful. However, the artwork illustrated below is all JB's artwork. He wants me to note that these aren't his favorite pieces. (But they are mine.)



I've gotten the hang of my new schedule and feel like I have adjusted pretty well. On a normal day, JB gets up between 5:30 and 6:00. He's usually out the door by 7:00. If I need the car that day, then I take him in. This is the case if I want to try to get back up to the hospital and see him or if, like yesterday, my cousin was coming into town. I have to meet all guests at the gate the first time they come on base and get them signed in, and I need a car to do that. I really don't have too many errands to run while JB is at work. I feel like I can do these at other times or on the days that I have to keep the car for other reasons. So far, having one car seems to be working okay, but the jury is still out on that one.

I usually spend the morning doing my devotions, exercising, blogging, or getting to work. I have not set a firm schedule. I am usually working between 7 and 8 and work through most of the day although I do take breaks for chores around the house or exercise or to talk to JB if he ever has a break. Right now, I am working until John gets home since I am a bit behind on hours. This behind on hours is due to company (which I love!) and the holidays. I may eternally be catching up on my hours, and that's perfectly okay.

Each rotation JB does lasts from 2 weeks to one month. This two weeks he is on OB. The second two weeks this will be working night shifts (7 p.m. until 7 a.m.) Each month is different so I can't tell you what his "usual" schedule will be. I can tell you that one half day a week he is always in clinic, seeing his patients. Each intern is assigned 70 patients. They manage these patients completely including t-cons (where they answer questions from patients via telephone.) Right now, John is getting home by about 7pm each evening. Sometimes he has an entire weekend free (like this one). However, that is really the luck of how the schedule falls.

I am realizing that I am going to be by myself a lot. This is very different for me and is going to take some getting used to. JB worked from home the first five years of our marriage. I remember when I would come home from teaching all day, he would want to talk my ear off. I was so sick of talking to students all day and just wanted to sit on the couch and do nothing. He'd want to go out since he'd been in the house all day. I just wanted to hang out at home. This is similar to our new arrangement except I am now the one home all day. We'll adjust but it'll take some time.

The good news is, there are 7 other wives in the class that are currently all staying at home as well. So they are all going through what I am. I think we will all be doing stuff together to help pass the time we are husband-less. One wife is also a scrapbooker -- YAY JOIA! So hopefully we can connect and do that some too.

Today Justin and I are going to the waterpark! I can't wait.

No comments: