Friday, July 27, 2007

423 miles?!?

We got our home study materials in the mail. Okay so not only does a home study cost about $1500 (and you have to get one of these every time you adopt or change your family make-up) but we found out that because the nearest AWAA (American World Adoption Agency) is 423 miles from here (Orlando), we have to pay for travel for the social worker! That means nearly $700 for the two visits. In addition, the third visit can be in Orlando if we want but the chances of JB getting away to do that would be quite difficult so we'd probably have to pay for the social worker to come back here a third time. That means almost $1000 for travel!

I know this is ony the first of many hiccups in this adoption journey, but sharing my hiccups seems to help. I emailed our family coordinator to see about the possibility of using a "sister" agency closer to our region. We really wanted to use AWAA to avoid any "errors" or "missing parts" between what a certain social worker does and what AWAA needs. I wish I would have realized we wre 423 miles away from the beginning. In the end, if we have to pay an extra $1,000 we'll just pay it, but geezie peezie.

I'll keep you posted.


--UPDATE--

I received an update from the AWAA office. It doesn't look too good for avoiding this extra fee. Here is the response I received from Leah, our family coordinator.

Wendi,

I received a response back from our Social Services Director and she said that you had to go through AWAA for your home study since you live in a AWAA licensed state, but she said to contact your department of social services- Amy Harris- in Florida and see if something can be worked out. We cannot guarantee anything unfortunately. There could be a chance that you might be able to schedule 2 visits within the same time frame so that your social worker doesn't have to travel additional times. Again, contact Amy ... If you have any questions please let me know. Hopefully something can be worked out.

So, I have left a message with Amy. I know, when an adoption is costing as much as a new car, another $1,000 for the extra "perk" isn't that bad. I know this $1,000 isn't. It's just, when I see all these costs, I get frustrated that things cost soooo much money for something so many people take for granted. I'll be fine. My pity party will end soon! :) I'll keep you all posted on any developments. If you think of it, pray that we can lessen this cost somehow. We just trust the Lord to walk each step with us.


--2nd UPDATE--

Aaaah, when will I learn to just relax and chill a bit more. I spoke with Amy at the AWAA office in Orlando. She was actually laughing about the error. She said they would never charge that much for travel! In fact, they have a "person" about an hour or two from me who works with everyone in that area. In addition, travel costs can be split between families, and appointments lumped together to avoid multiple travel days. So it looks like the travel costs will be minimal if any. THANKS AMY!!! THANKS GOD!!!

4 comments:

Amy T. S. said...

You're welcome! I knew when I saw her name was Amy that everything would work out. :p

AW said...

Breathe deep! :-) This is just the beginning of unexpected jolts and dips in the rollercoaster of being paperwork pregnant. I know the joys will far outweigh the challenges.

Prayers for continued peace!
Andi

Anonymous said...

How awesome! What a speedy answer to prayer! Yay God! =0)

Anshul Thakur said...

Vacations like https://www.imanali.in/manali-tour-packages-hyderabad are something which are always special and to the point. One needs to make sure you have a great package which can cover everything. Look for the best and make sure you do not miss out on the top packages.