Sunday, July 17, 2011

Note from Wendi


Saturday morning was our scheduled c-section. I was supposed to make a quick phone call up to labor and deliveryto make sure that everything was still a go. Under staffed due to a few surprise deliveries, I was told it may not happen that day. Ugh! Needless to say, this made me a bit emotional.

But, everything ended up coming together and by 10:30am, I was changing my clothes and hooked up to an IV and giving blood and preparing to meet our daughter.

They day would go flawlessly. In fact the only glitch was inside my own mind. About thirty minutes before surgery and up until I was strapped down on the table, I really started struggling panic-wise. No one knew but JB, but I was whirling emotionally, answering questions and doing what was asked of me, but mentally spinning. I think, truly, it was fear of recovery. I didn't fear surgery. I feared the moments that followed. I started praying, and by the time the spinal was kicking in, my anxiety was beginng to drop. Praise the Lord.

At 12:44pm I heard the doctor say, "We have clear fluid!" the first sign that things this pregnancy would go entirely different than the last. The next thing I knew, they had pulled down the curtain and I was staring into the face of a screaming and pink and pudgy and little, yes, it was true, girl. Her apgars were 9 and 9! (Quite a bit different than Elijah's 1 and 2.)

JB stayed with Abigail while I went to recovery for about an hour. After that, we were in a room together, and I was feeding her, and she was great, and I felt great, and everything was great. There was a moment or two of concern in regards to my bleeding, but a quick check by my doctor assured the room that I was within the realm of normal and all was still going perfectly.

The forty-eight hours that have followed have been equally wonderful. I have had a few moments where my pain got pretty intense -- mainly the air that gets trapped inside you following a surgery of the abdomen. But overall, things have gone fantastically. Abigail is great. I'm great. JB is great. The boys are great. My parents are great. And we hope to be great together back at the hotel sometime after lunch.

I have had trouble putting pictures on the blog, but you can click here to see most of what we have taken during the last two days. And of course, as I get more rest and our life finds a new normal, I'll be writing tons more about our new addition. THANK YOU for all the mesages and loved from around the world. Blessings everyone!

5 comments:

Korede said...

Congratulations Wendi!!! I bless the name of the Lord for you and your family! May He continue to watch over you all.

Ryan and Sarah said...

Her "little sister" fits!! I am so so happy!!

Stebbs

Kristina said...

Congratulations, Wendi & Family! Abigail is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

It feels weird saying this, because we've never met, but as soon as I saw your new little girl, I thought to myself, "That is the female version of Elijah!" It's amazing what a little blog can do :)

Mikey's mom said...

I'm so happy for you Wendi and have prayed for a smooth delivery. God has blessed a faithful follower. Congrats on your sweet little girl!