Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fort Lauderdale Christian Changes

Got word that the Christian School JB and I attended for nearly our entire lives, Fort Lauderdale Christian School, has been merged with Calvary Chapel Christian School -- a neighboring Christian School in the Fort Lauderdale area. Here are a few articles on the topic: Two Fort Lauderdale Christian Schools Merge and Calvary Christian Merges with Fort Lauderdale Christian School.

My father began working at this school in 1974. I attended it from 1983-1999. My mother drove the school bus for FLCS for many years. My brother worked there after he finished college for a number of years. JB's entire family began attending FLCS in the mid-80's. My uniform has been retired from this school.

FLCS has been in financial trouble for quite some time. The economy and the creation of Calvary so close by has caused attendance to drop rapidly over the last few years. Something had to change and this was the way it changed. We are glad to see FLCS not disappear entirely but sad to see the school as we know it no longer in existence. Just wanted to share this with those of you who are familiar with FLCS, attended FLCS, or loved FLCS like we did.

Bittersweet.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Unfortunately, it's probably for the best. It was a wonderful school in the years that I attended, especially under Jim Meiste. I'm sorry to see it go!