Sunday, October 08, 2017

Review: Fire Road

Congrats Sharon! You are the random winner!


WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

If I could give Fire Road by Kim Phuc Phan Thi ten stars I would do just that. It was, by far, the most powerful book I have read this year. 

I have decided not to put the famous photo of Kim on this Blog post even though it is the cover to the book. (It was actually the only thing I was "bothered" by with this book. While an incredible image, it was hard for me to read around my children because I don't feel they are old enough to see the picture yet.)

However, if you click on the link above, you will see it and instantly know who this woman is. The photo was taken during the Vietnam War, and it is probably one of the most famous photos ever taken. Kim was only nine-years-old when she was commanded to run from the Napalm bomb that was about to land on her village. This book details her happy life before war struck her town and also the life she has lived since from her home country to Cuba and ultimately Canada who allowed her refuge from the prison her country had put her in.

Left for dead in the morgue, Kim somehow survived the burns that covered a large percentage of her back and arms. What follows is a story of how her country used her for propaganda and her journey through hate and anger to a faith in Jesus Christ. The book is simply incredible and beautiful and moving and inspiring. I can't possibly encourage you to read it enough.

But I do want to do a give-away. It is just that good. I want to share it with others. So please leave a comment on my Blog with your email address, and in one week, I will randomly pull a winner from among the commenters to win a free copy of  Fire Road by Kim Phuc Phan Thi.

7 comments:

Lisa Cronk said...

cronk.lisa@gmail.com

Rachel said...

Rae924@aol.com

Anonymous said...

jedgar@psportals.com

I don't even have to click on the link to know who she is. That picture left an indelible imprint on my mind as a young girl - close to her in age - during the war. I'm so thankful she knows Jesus! That is so awesome to hear!

Anonymous said...

philandlisab96@gmail.com

ricefordhomeschool said...

Jessicasolum at gmail dot com

TAV said...

Enter me! arness.tara@gmail.com. Just read the "Sympathizer" re: the Vietnam war and also want to read "Refugees" by the same author, Viet Thanh Nguyen. My FIL was in the South Vietnamese army and was imprisoned by the north for 9 years. He was able to immigrate to the U.S. when Kelvin was 9 and his faith has always kept him joyous.

Sharon said...

Would love to read this book. sharonjabz@gmail.com