Sunday, November 08, 2015

We Bought a Farm: Ms. Freckles & Friends

Ms. Freckles died today. Man, when these pigs or sheep die it really tears me up. I wonder if I can handle this and I start questioning whether I am cut out for this farm life. How do people do this? It makes me so sad.

We are thinking that there may be a poisonous plant in our fields. We aren't sure. It is so hard to know.

And just so sad ...

I think the hardest part is not knowing why we've lost two pigs in two months. Wondering if there is something they are eating, a sickness they are getting ... and also wondering if the one sheep we lost may be related.

Losing animals is part of farming. But I hope I never stop reacting strongly to the loss of our animals. We really love them -- especially those that are our breeders and we hope to have around for a long time.

However, the day was not all bad. Far from it. I was SO blessed to have some very dear friends come for a visit. Many years ago, before JB and I were married or had children, we lived in Bowling Green and then Franklin, Kentucky and attended a church that became like family to us. Mike, was the pastor of his church, and we actually became the godparents of their three wonderful kids. We spent much time with this family, and they were  our family in Kentucky. Mike ended up marrying JB and me and then also married two of John's siblings.

Deanna and her two daughters were able to drive 4.5 hours to visit us for the day at the farm today. I look forward to them coming again when they can stay longer!!

Introductions to the pig and sheep.

Meeting the chickens.

Lovely ladies who will also occupy a very special place in my heart!

No comments: