Tuesday, November 10, 2015

What a Strong Will Looks Like

This series of videos helps illustrate what it is like parenting a strong-willed child ... a first for me. I happened to record a video of Hannah refusing to follow directions. I had no idea I would go to war with her over saying "thank you." I really try to pick battles and try not to get into "absolutes." I really didn't think this one would go very far. All she had to do was say "Thank you!"

But once I commit to something, I have to follow through on it. Patience and consistency are my only two hard and fast parenting rules. I honestly thought this would last a few minutes at most. The entire process was 90 minutes long!

I've been working diligently on staying calm and requiring Hannah to follow directions. Here was where it began:

7:30am -- The confrontation takes place.



7:40am -- I quickly realize this is not going to end easily.



7:50am



8:00am -- A new level. Clothes have started to come off.



8:10am



8:20am



8:30am



8:40am



8:50am -- I had to move all the toys in order to make time-out even less fun. It still wouldn't work!



9:00am -- Daddy wakes up after a long night shift and tries to help ... to no avail!



9:10am -- By this point I am very concerned that I may run out of time. I have to leave at 9:30am to take the kiddos to speech. And this chick won't break!



9:20am -- And then suddenly, all of a sudden, she gave in.



This
child
makes
my
heart
soar
with
love!
She
is
going
to
be
a
force
to
reckon
with!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting day!
Love, Papa Coach....

Unknown said...

I am going through the same thing with Savannah, she absolutely wears me out!