Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Going private

Well I'm bummed to do this. I really wanted to always keep my blog public forever. I really did. But, JB and I have made the decision that as of the day we move (July 1st), we are going to make my blog private.

Our reasons are really two-fold. One is that we want to protect our little boys. We want to make sure that only people we approve of are glancing into their lives. I include a lot of personal details on my blog so we think this is important. They are our number one priority. Their safety, obviously, comes first.

The second is that JB is going to be leaving residency. His patients will google him. They will check him out. We don't want them to be able to wander onto our blog. Making my blog private will remove it from search engines.

I am putting a post up now as I want to start compiling email addresses of those individuals who want to have access to my blog. I want to make sure people have plenty of time to let me know they want to stay a part (or join for the first time) my journey through marriage, infertility, adoption, pregnancy, the military, parenthood, etc.

PLEASE note that I am fine with anyone who requests access, getting access. I don't have to know you personally. That is fine. Totally. We just want to get the blog off of search engines. That's it. You can be the friend of a friend of a friend of a friend. Or you may have found me during your infertility or adoption journey and read anonymously for years. Or you may be my mother. It doesn't matter. In the future, I will gladly add people who want to join. I just want to make sure that predators and people who are here for the wrong reasons, aren't here.

So. Here's what you have to do. Post a comment on my blog with your request and your email address. Or, if you know my email, email me and just put BLOG ACCESS in the subject line. If I don't know you at all, you could briefly, in just a few words, tell me how you started reading my blog. "Found you through an infertility board." "A friend recommended your blog." "I'm the the friend of a friend." or something of the like. I will then store your email address and send you a confirmation email that I received your email.

Then, on July 1, 2010, I'll change the settings on the blog. You will have to have a google account to visit the blog. (If you don't know how to do this, let me know and I will totally help you with this.) The first time you visit the blog after that date, you'll have to log-in, but after that, you'll be able to view it the same way you do now.

I realize this may be some extra work for some of you. Please understand I just think this is the best thing for our family and respect our decision. And please do the work so you can keep reading. I love everyone who visits!

I hope everyone understands my decision. I will post updates to this periodically during the next six months and will also put a notice at the top of my blog. You'll have plenty of chances to do this. I want to make this easy for everyone!

PLEASE send me an email. I want everyone who is reading now to keep reading. I REALLY DO!!!

All righty, that's that. I thought the end of 2009 was a good time to make this announcement. Thanks everyone -- and happy 2010!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

You can have 100 authors and 100 readers on google but the authors would be able to update and change things I believe so I can't imagine you'd want to let that many people have the ability to do so.

The only thing I can think of is if you move your blog over to WordPress... I think you can even merge your Blogger blog into it so you won't lose anything. WordPress allows you to password protect it so you can give the password out to as many people as you want (I think).

Also, no matter what you do, since your blog won't show up on Google!Readers any more because it'll be private, I've seen people leaving updates on old blogs to let people know there's a new post on the new blog. :)

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

I understand. I am in a private blog world for the same reason.
I have no advice about the 100 limit as that is not an issue for me. Perhaps see how many folks "sign up" to have access. Maybe Word Press may serve you better in this area than blogger. ????
Love ya girl!