Saturday, December 12, 2009

No tree for us

Did you know that we opted not to get a Christmas tree this year. It was a painful decision. But it was one that just had to be made. We have two little boys. They have lots of stuff. There isn't much room in our house.

Those are our "minor" reasons.

Our major reason?

Well, truth be told, I just did not feel like fighting the "do not touch" game with Elijah. Last year we had a baby as well. But last year we got a tree. Why? Well, for one thing, Isaac was a bit younger and not quite as mobile.

And, well, I don't want to compare my boys in a negative way. I honestly do not plan on comparing them in any negative way, ever. (I also don't plan on using the "well, you are older" line with them since the age difference is so minor, it could get comical, but I'll talk about that another day.)

But this comparison isn't a good or bad issue. It's just a fact. Isaac is Isaac. And Elijah is Elijah. Their differences are incredibly plain. And incredibly wonderful all at the same time.

The facts are that Isaac has never really gotten into anything. I remember he found a battery once. And he brought it to me. "Mommy," he said. He brings me anything that seems like something he shouldn't be playing with. And he has started to say, "No, no, no," when he sees Elijah attempting to do something that Isaac knows is against the rules.

Let me offer some examples. For example, when it comes to Isaac, I can't ever remember:
  • taking something out of his mouth that wasn't supposed to be there. Seriously. Never.
  • him reaching for an outlet or a cord.
  • him getting into the drawers in the kitchen.
  • him opening up the broiler on the oven.
  • pulling the bills out of Daddy's sorter.
  • him putting his whole body into the dog's water.
  • trying to touch the ornaments on a Christmas tree.
  • getting stuck under tables, chairs, high chairs, our bed (anything he can climb under).
  • shutting heavy drawers on his fingers.
  • almost pulling over a dresser drawer and bookshelf on top of himself.
  • him playing with the garbage can the moment he noticed the laundry room door was open.
  • pulling over lamps.
  • grabbing the blinds.
Elijah? Well, Elijah tried to do all those things (or succeeded) in just the last few hours. For real!

Now don't get me wrong. I am truly not complaining about the fact that Elijah is in to everything. I'm really not. Honestly, his curiosity, while overwhelming, is so wrapped into his personality that I can't imagine it not being there. He absolutely cracks us up with his propensity for getting into things that we would prefer he did not. He walks around, grunting and cawing, just looking for something that can entertain him. He loves to play underneath the dining room table. He looks for things he can climb through and under continually. He seeks adventure. He thirsts for it. He loves it.

And we love that about him.

But we do not love the idea of keeping his hands off a Christmas tree for the next two months. Especially when the word "no" is still in the suggestion stage of his brain.

Just wondering. Are we the only parents out there who have ever made this decision? Anyone else ever decide to just not fight the battle in the first place?

I'm a bit sad there won't be a tree here this year, especially since my parents and grandparents are coming to celebrate with us. But I've got out a few items to make it seem a bit festive, and JB hung some lights on the very top of the window in the living room (where no one can reach them). Isaac loves them! Elijah, well he wants to eat them, but we are keeping them up very high.

We actually did go Christmas tree shopping. We were going to get a small tree we could put on the dining room table. Forty bucks! For a tiny tree. Forget it.

I am amazed everyday at the differences in my boys. Maybe they are a bit more pronounced since they are not genetically related, but you can tell that so much of who we are is something that is in our very makeup. It isn't something that our parents teach us or show us. It's just who we are. I love watching the people they are becoming. What a fantastic privilege.

13 comments:

The Mac's House said...

We actually have 2 trees up, both artificial as I am allergic to the world!!!! The first one is in the family room that sits upon a small table only about 3 feet but very pretty with the colored lights on it. It is the one we opted to bring down out of the attic last year as the only official tree for us. This year we opted to also bring down the large Christmas tree and ornaments. Well after one quick attempt to pull pretty ornaments out of the container it is evident that with an 18 month old is the house we will not have ornaments on the tree. But it is does have nice white lights and that will be it. sigh...... I love my Christmas trees and actually love putting them up and sad to take them down each year. We've never ever NOT had a tree even when "B" was little. "B" was much like Isaac could have cared less and even helped without trying to re-take them off the tree. Well this one...... ahem more like Elijah and into everything, anything that isn't nailed down and even then I'm sure she's trying to figure out how to do it.... LOL I feel your pain. :)

Iturblog said...

I understand where you're coming from Wendi. We haven't had a tree at Christmas since Jer was an infant (but that's also partly because we've visited family during Christmas in the past). We don't have the room here either, but did find a three foot pre-lit artificial tree at Target for $19.99. We have it up high-on a (wide and low) bookshelf (I thought it would look weird but it doesn't)- so Des and our kitties don't mess with it. I enjoy reading your blog and hope all is well with everyone!

Dana said...

I'm so sad for you guys!! But I understand the turmoil. Just a tip, in case you are still open to the idea of getting a tree... When my brother and I were tots my parents put the tree in a play pen (yup.. right in the middle of our fold up play pen). Gifts went in there too if they were pre-wrapped. It compromised the desire for a tree and not wanting the two of us to destroy it, the decorations, or risk pulling it over. It worked well from what I hear.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Dana, my MILaw suggested this too. The problem is, where to put it? We just don't have the space to take up 1/4 of a room with 2 babies ... but good idea.

AW said...

Sooo get this post. LOL! No tree here either.

Kiley said...

To be honest with you Wendi, I am kind of glad to know that I am not the only one that decided that this year we would leave the Tree decorating to someone else. I have 4 little ones under the age of 6. I just decided that our life is completely busy and too complicated this year to have the time to decorate a tree. Better yet, find the time to take everything off the tree and put it away. With all the birthdays we have in January, mine starting the 2nd, and my daughters ending the 28th (there are 4 birthdays plus my anniversary in just our family alone) that I just need that not on my list of stresses.

I hope you guys have a fun Christmas despite. And don't worry, there are plenty of ways to make memories, even without the tree.

Kiley
www.kileyandjason.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing as I remember our Christmas tree never had any ornaments or lights on the bottom couple rows while they were little enough to destroy things. As they got older, I started just putting these wooden toy ornaments on the bottom. They would have so much fun pulling them off to play with them. I would of course, end up having to put them all back on at the end of the day.
You could do like Grandma, and get a "Ceramic" tree. :D
Love,
Linda

Tara said...

We have a 2 foot tall fake tree we have used for the past few years, first because we had 2 labs that would never have left a big tree alone and then because added the 2 kids to the mix. Right now I have it on a table, but I think I'm going to have to move it even higher. Charlie can't leave it alone and Kaia can actually reach it to pull the whole thing down (and she would!). Charlie is very excited about Christmas this year so I really wanted to do at least something.

It's totally understandable to not want to have to fight to keep them away from it for an extended period of time!

Joy Z said...

We don't have a tree either. Mostly for different reasons, but I gotta tell you how thankful I am that we don't this year. We have been to several house with decorated trees and it is just too much for Vincent! He can't stay away! And then Vic and I spend most of our time keeping him away from the trees and prying ornaments out of his hands. To have to do that everyday all day long, no thanks! Vincent sounds VERY much like Elijah. He is by far my busiest and most into everything kid. I even had to call 911 once because he had a block lodged in his throat and I couldn't get it out. The kid gives me a heart attack almost everyday!!!

Tara said...

Our 2 foot tall tree is now more than 5 feet off the ground. It lasted exactly 24 hours at toddler height. ;)

Anonymous said...

Just thought of something.you're gonna say "yeah right" and John will roll his eyes, but hey, it's me:) and you know how much I love pulling the stuff out for Christmas:) soooo-why not hang some lights on the tree out front?
The kids can't touch them and you'll brighten up the whole block! And at night time they can stand in the window in their pj's and look at the pretty lights:) By the way, Matt and Dani put up a tree and guess who's eating the ornaments? The dog!!
love ya,
mom k

June said...

One thing I read - for dogs, but probably works for kids, too - is to take a floor protector mat (the kind you put under office chairs, it has the plastic "teeth" on the underside) and put it teeth-side up under the tree.

We have a tree that is strung with lights (prelit) but has no ornaments. Our daughter is somewhere between Isaac and Elijah in terms of curiosity (probably more similar to E) - she has touched the branches but has not tried to crawl under it or knock it over. However, we put the tree up in the less-used part of the house, so she doesn't encounter it frequently.

Jess said...

The only year it would have been an issue (last) we baby gated the tree with a superyard. this year they're still curious so we "just" have the big tree, put my tree with my ornaments my parents gave me every year (aka non replacable) in our bedroom, and then the fiber optic tree (no ornaments) upstairs and their little trees with their ornaments HIGH UP where they can't reach, but on their entertainment center upstairs so they can see them and enjoy them.

I so, so, so agree that the non-bio-related thing bring up all sort of interesting things. I think all the time what you said...that so much is just "who you are"...moreso than I think most people believe! It's interesting, though, that your second child is the...."challenging" child. Ours is, too. We are constantly saying that's what we get for using our genes! :D