Sunday, December 20, 2009

Babysitting Co-op

I wanted to share some info about something I have been doing with a few friends here in the hopes that it may be beneficial to some of you "out there."

A few months ago, my friend Sarah and I were talking. We discussed how our friend Jodi who runs a little babysitting business, is the only babysitter many of us have. Jodi likes to limit her weekends and nights (to spend time with her hubby -- how dare she?!) She stays quite busy babysitting, and if she isn't available, many of my fellow Wifia gals are out of luck. I have Mary and another young lady who lives a few doors down, our friend Kendra has helped some of us on occasion, but some of the other gals really don't have anyone else. Ugh!

So here we are, a bunch of wives in the same predicament. But all of us reserved asking each other for desperate times. Why? Well, because we don't want to bother anyone else. We all need a sitter, but none of us will ask each other. Or if we do we try to remember who owes who. It gets quite frustrating and annoying

So, Sarah and I started talking and I brought up an article I had read in one of my MOPs magazines about a babysitting Co-op. She and I decided to do it and asked around to see who else might be interested in joining in with us. Three other gals were interested. We had five gals on board. A perfect number to get started.

Here's how it works. If you need a sitter, you email the group. You can also call or email someone specifically if you are heading in a certain direction and want to see if someone who lives there can do it. Then, you pay the person with "fake money." Each of us started with nine hours worth of tokens. If I watch Sarah's daughter Della for two hours, she pays me two tokens. If she watches my two boys for two hours, I pay her four tokens.

It's honestly, awesome! I know I am only here another six months but it has been so helpful. I really hope that wherever I move, I am able to be a part of something like this again. We still have Jodi, but now we all have another option that doesn't leave us feeling guilty asking or overwhelmed watching. If we want to earn tokens, we say yes. If we don't want to earn tokens, we say no. It's that simple. No guilt involved. And a reward if you say yes.

Anyways, I am sharing simply to provide this information to other moms out there hoping to save some money and provide additional options for your babysitting adventures. It's been an awesome endeavor.

P.S. If you can, please pray for our little man Isaac. He is really sick. He was up throughout most of the night, and only wanted Daddy. He would have nothing to do with me. (This really does not hurt my feelings. I love how much he loves John.) He has some sort of eye infection, a sore throat, a bad cough. I read on Joia's blog that her kids have some sort of stomach bug. This is something totally different, but he is absolutely miserable. Thanks!

2 comments:

Jess said...

That co-op is an awesome idea!!

Get well soon Isaac---Christmas is coming!

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

Absolutely love this idea- thank you so much for sharing! Will Pray for Isaac to get well very soon. My little guy is sick too:(