Thursday, December 17, 2009

Interesting shopping tidbits

During my trip to the Commissary and BX today, I had some interesting adventures that I thought I would share with you. This includes some of the going-out-with-two-little-kiddos tips I am perfecting by trial and error. I am finding that going out with the two little tykes is getting easier as the boys are getting older.

Anyways, here's the extent of my morning -- the good, the bad, and the funny.

  • I went to the Commissary to buy two things: milk and bread. I left with $44.00 worth of stuff but no milk! Are you kidding me?
  • They often have "deals" announced over the loud speaker at the Commissary. This one was for chicken. They gave me a coupon to use at the register. I bought their chicken and failed to use the coupon. I almost literally kicked myself over that one.
  • Checking out with my groceries, a cashier stopped to comment on my "cute little boys." Then she says, and I kid you not. "Well this one," pointing to Isaac, "Looks just like you." And then she pointed to Elijah. "But HE looks nothing like you. Where did you get him from?" Oh if only she knew!
  • I put Elijah in those car grocery carts and he promptly bent over and began sucking on the steering wheel. For like 3 minutes straight. He just closed his eyes and sucked away oblivious to anything else going on around him. It would have been even more funny if it wasn't so gross!
  • Today at the BX, I tried putting Isaac inside the cart and Elijah in the seat since they don't have any double carts there. It worked but only because Isaac is a stinkin' good listener. He sat down the entire time and really seemed to enjoy the adventure. He also enjoyed the Thomas the Train book I let him read while I was shopping.
  • At the Commissary, there were no carts near my parking spot. (Big shocker, eh, locals?) So instead of carrying both boys into the store which is incredibly taxing, I opted to try and let Isaac walk while holding my hand. He did a fantastic job and thought it was a very cool adventure.
  • When we get back into the van, I am now putting Isaac down on Elijah's side and instructing him to "crawl through" to his seat. This allows me to get them both out at the same time. Again, Isaac's listening skills make this possible. He doesn't actually climb into his seat but he plays in between the seats while I put Elijah in and then comes over and lets me put him in when I am done.
  • Elijah has realized that when I push the cart through the checkout line, there are many fun things to grab. Since getting the double car cart through is a tight squeeze already, it was quite interesting to watch me try to keep four little arms inside while pulling the cart through. But we succeeded with only two air fresheners falling to the floor along the way. Elijah is also not a respecter of sides. He will try to grab things from both sides, nearly knocking Isaac out to reach something he wants.
  • Left Scrubs out in the kitchen while we were gone. He was a pro yet again. Can he really handle not being kennelled while we are gone? How do you determine he is ready without him proving you wrong?

3 comments:

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

I love going to the store without Jack when possible. He will literally almost propel himself over the side of the cart (he must always be strapped/buckled in tight!) or he is grabbing stuff that I've put in the cart or knocking stuff off. I can't take my eyes off of him which makes it so hard to shop. I too went to the grocery store this week for one specific thing and made it home without it. The challenging days make the good days great don't they?

Jess said...

Haha, people always comment on who the kids look like. Ava looks, quite frankly, nothing like us. And she couldn't really look less like me unless she was another race! But sometimes people still say she does.

It' fine from strangers but the other day the FIL was insisting that in our last family pic she looked JUST LIKE ME! JUST! LIKE! ME! "OMGOSH! WOW, JUST LIKE YOU!"

Yeah, 'cept....she doesn't! And that's fine and dandy!

AW said...

RE: comments about Isaac looking like you...

I'm half Japanese. My parents divorced when I was 3 and my American father gained custody of me. He remarried a Chinese lady. When the three of us were together, we got comments ALL.THE.TIME. about how much I looked like my "mother". We are both short with dark hair...that's about where the similarity stops. We truly look NOTHING alike other than we're both Asian. But we'd just smile and say thank you. LOL!