Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Getting a groove

Today, our little boy is four weeks old. One month. And to celebrate he decided to do something wonderfully heroic and sweet. He decided to only wake up one time overnight! What a great gift! He fed at at 10pm and then got up again at 3:00am. After that, the next feeding was 6:30am. Only getting up one time is not only physically refreshing, but there is something psychologically wonderful about it as well. I was quite ecstatic.

We got word yesterday about Isaac's ear. They want to wait six months to do the procedure. I was a little disappointed with this because I'd like to get it taken care of now, while he is really little. But the plastic surgeon was steadfast. He wants to wait six months to make sure that there is no cartilage in the tag at all. JB trusts him completely so I must trust him as well. I barely notice the little tag anymore anyways. I'm only reminded when a little kid will ask me if his ear has a boo-boo!

JB is on his family medicine rotation this month. It's quite hectic. He leaves the house before 6am and is not home until after 6:30pm. In addition, he has call the first and third Saturday. The second Saturday is Hans & Rachel's wedding, and the fourth Saturday is the beach bash (and the Wilsons will be here) so we are jam packed this month.

Mom K. left yesterday morning for Fort Lauderdale. It was so wonderful to have her here. Just the opportunity to take an extra nap or take a feeding off is quite a welcome respite, and I don't think I could have gotten through that second week of nights without her. My Dad is driving up tomorrow and going to spend a week with us! I can't wait to see him. He was going to come today but car trouble means one more day before I can have him here.

Right after my Dad leaves, we are heading to Minnesota for the wedding. When we get back, we'll have one week before the Wilsons come into town. Right on their coat tails will be my brother and his wife. Lots happening here on Eglin AFB. I have to wonder if all the visitors are because of Isaac or the weather or just an appropriate combination of both! Suddenly JB and I feel much more loved. :)

Today I am going to host the wive's brunch. We meet every Wednesday, and I haven't hosted in about two months. I figure it is time to get my feet wet and get used to taking care of dog, baby, and having people over all at once. Every time I accomplish a new thing, I feel like I am getting more and more of a handle on this mom thing.

Speaking of this mom thing . . . it's becoming a bit more real to me. I am growing more and more convinced that in fact, I am Isaac's mom, and he is going to live with us forever. In my heart, I always knew this was true, but I just couldn't convince my brain of this. I don't think it was just because he was adopted. I remember Tiff telling me that when William was about six months old, she went into his room where he was standing in his crib screaming and suddenly had a realization that, "This kid is going to be here forever!" I laugh every time I think of that story.

I think that is how it is with Isaac. He's really going to be my son forever -- it's just sinking in, and I am enjoying letting it sink further and further.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a friend back in Iowa who adpoted a 6 month old. She tell's how one morning a few months after they got her, she was brought to tears while feeding the baby oatmeal. It just hit her out of nowhere that this kid is mine! I'm her Mom! I'm not babysitting. Noone else will make sure she get's her oatmeal in the morning. Noone else will change her diaper, and get her ready for the day. That baby was totally dependent on her. She says from that moment on there was no more questions in her heart. She was her Mommy.

Linda

Anonymous said...

So beautiful Wendi! You are a beautiful fabulous mom! Can you believe how much love you have for that tiny little creature? I used to be overwhelmed at times when I held you and later Keith with the love. What a great gift to all of you!! Love you! Mom

Anonymous said...

Well,I woke at 4:15 and was totally dis-oriented:no Isaac-no nursery-no Wendi-no Scrubs.Gee, I got to back to sleep and didn't even have to make sure the door behind me was shut (so Scrubs couldn't take my water bottle or glasses behind my back)
To say I miss you all is an understatement! What an incredible blessing it was to visit. You have such a sweet little guy, and yes, he really will be there forever:)
You guys are natural parents and seem to take everything in stride. And with a horse in the house to maneuver around, I think you do especially well!
I know everyone who visits says what great friends you have. You have GREAT friends; both on base and at Church!! It has always been a joy to see and hear of the relationships you two have developed over the years-wherever the Lord has placed you. The neat thing is how you continue to maintain such close friendships while developing new ones at the same time.The Lord really has given you both a special heart for people. And it's terrific watching all of these people-from all over the world-bless you and little Isaac!
I also appreciate that you included your "mother-in-law" on so many outings-not every "MIL"or mom for that matter-gets such sweet treatment when visiting! Meeting everyone,and walking and driving around to places you go really means a lot to me. Visualizing helps to connect and makes the distance seem much closer.
Thanks for everything, I love you all. Give the little guy extra hugs and kisses for me:)
mom/grandma K

Iturblog said...

Awe, what a sweet post Wendi. Sounds like you have a lot going on and going-to-be going on! Happy 4 weeks old Isaac! Great job sleepin' little man! Time sure is flyin'! I remember being at caregroup and us getting the call that he had arrived...doesn't seem like that long ago...must be going even faster for you guys, eh? You are such a fantastic Mommy Wendi! Great that you have such loving family to share in the excitement with...it was so nice to be able to meet and talk with JBs mom...seems like such a sweet woman and loving Granma!

AW said...

Wen, 9 months ago today Jon Kai joined our little family. And I'm still pinching myself! I love the way the realization hits me time and again. It's like Christmas morning everytime it happens. :-)

AW said...

Oh also...

And with a horse in the house to maneuver around, I think you do especially well!

Hahahahaha!

Amy T. S. said...

My "Aha" moment came one evening when I was holding E in the living room while he slept. He screamed out like he was having a nightmare (A did it too at about the same age) and my heart just leapt out of my chest. I knew that moment that I would do anything for him and we bonded just like "that."

Anonymous said...

I have been raising kids for 17 years and I still look at them and say...

WHO'S KID ARE YOU!?!?

It is very special.


Seriously, no one in your life will bring such an array of emotion as your kids will. Good and bad--it is still an amazing adventure. I love it.