Sunday, June 29, 2008

What a weekend!

We finally got to return to church this morning. JB was on call two Saturdays this month, and we were in Minnesota for the other so this is the first Sunday we were able to attend. It was good timing too since it was "New Members Sunday" at church. JB, Isaac, and I officially joined Crossway Community. We are so blessed to have found such a wonderful church family here at Eglin. Between our church and the fellow physicians and their wives here on base, we have found our prayers answered -- that we would get good and networked in to our new community. Even though it is so hard every time you move to say good bye to old friends and make new ones, we know how important these connections. This church has a fabulous community and has been so welcoming to us and our growing little family.

A few people at church mentioned I looked tired today. JB and I thought this was sort of funny because, while I am very tired, I am probably the most rested I have been in weeks! Yesterday, after Beach Bash, JB slept from 3:30 until 7:30pm! He told me that the longer he slept, the better it would be for me when he woke up and this was very true. He did Isaac's late night feeding which meant I was able to sleep from 9:30pm until Isaac's 5:30am feeding. I then returned to bed until a wet nose found me on the couch at 7:15am! Glorious! (Not the wet nose but getting such a good night sleep.)

Yesterday, I had my most "pregnant sick day" to date. I went over to Matt & Tiffany's early in the morning. Matt's father owns a barbecue restaurant in Texas, and with this experience behind him, Matt agreed to do all the food for the Beach Bash yesterday. What a huge undertaking! He rented a smoker and worked overnight on the meat. Some of the guys, including JB, helped him late into the night on Friday evening and then joined him again early the next morning to finish the job. However, seeing brisket pulled off the smoker at 8am and Tiffany stirring beans on the stove did not sit well with my stomach. It was the closest I have come to throwing up. I quickly excused myself and took Scrubs to the bay while they worked on the fixins'. I sat by the water with Bobbie while Scrubs and Deuce played for nearly an hour until I couldn't smell the meat anymore. I was worried, after that experience, that I wouldn't be able to eat Matt's awesome cooking later that afternoon. But by 1:00pm, I was feeling considerably better and was able to enjoy a great brisket sandwich! Great job Matt.

Most days, my stomach seems to follow this pattern. Early morning is difficult but by post-lunch, I am feeling hungry and anxious to eat something. Some days the nausea lasts well into the evening, but that's rare. I have yet to throw up. Actually, I have not thrown up since I threw up in Lisa Rossman's car in the ninth grade on the way to a volleyball game. I am hoping to continue this trend even though some days it feels like throwing up would feel better.

Please know that I am not complaining. In fact, I am almost thankful for the morning sickness. It reminds me that there is a tiny new life growing in side of me. I have to pinch myself to convince myself that this is true a few times a day. JB and I will just look at each other and I will say, "Can you believe I am pregnant?!"

We have been trying to figure out how to upgrade our simple life into a more family-friendly existence. The biggest obstacle will be the purchase of a new vehicle. We really need a vehicle with three rows of seats since it is probable that within 2-3 years, we will have a 1 year old, a 2 year old, and a 3 year old -- three tykes needing carseats. We obviously cannot have three car seats sitting in a row. So that is our main goal: find a vehicle with three rows. Wendi would prefer not to drive a mini-van, but if that is what she needs to do, she'll do it. I know Scrubs will also be happy because right now we don't really have the ability to transport him and baby places together unless he sits in the front and I sit in the back with baby which is less than ideal.

Another item of need is a stroller. We are talking about getting a double stroller with a sit or stand third seat. I am not sure if they make these, but I am determined to find this. I don't really see the point of upgrading to a double only to need to upgrade to a triple in another year. So that's another big goal.

Other than that, we feel pretty prepared to add another little tyke to our family. If it is a girl, we'll need some new clothes. But if it is a boy, we really don't need a single thing. We do plan to find out what we are having, but we honestly, truly, don't care AT ALL. We can think lots of advantages and disadvantages to both sexes so we are just anxious to see which one is joining us. Oh and names. That, we intend to keep a secret. If you are mad about that, then try being Joia's friend. She's keeping name a secret and not finding out the sex! :) So surely all our "people" can deal with the whole name thingy. All right Gabbi?!?!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a comment on your three car seats in a row... if you get a minivan with a bench seat in the middle you can easily and comfortably fit three car seats in a row.. our son and his wife have a situation like that and have three in a row, best to put the oldest in the middle... just thought you might like to know that...

Joy Z said...

Wendi,

I get so sick everytime I'm pregnant and this is what helps me: (doesn't take it away, but does help)
1. Getting enough sleep. I'm not sure how you'll do that, but do try everything you can. In this beginning stage, it's not uncommon for me to sleep 9 hours at night and still have a two hour nap.
2. Don't let yourself get hungry. Eat a little something every 2-3 hours. Start carrying around some granola bars and cans of nuts.
3. Find something to help with the nausea like peppermint or ginger. I find I've liked something different with each pregnancy. Check at the health food store and ask them for some stuff. There are tea, suckers, candies, etc. that are all intended for this. And last but not least, ask about a RX for something if you need it. I used Zofran this last time and it helped alot.

Hope that might help a little. And take encouragement from the fact that you're sick because you have lots of pregnancy hormones, something that means healthy pregnancy!!! And it's not complaining to let people know how you are feeling! I know I've felt that way too, but people need to know so that they can serve you and pray for you.

I have been and will continue to lift you up in my prayers, I'm freshly out of the stage you're in right now and I know how challenging it can be!

~Joy Zarate

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

WENDI- I ONCE HATED THE THOUGHT OF A MINI VAN. BUT I LOVED MINE. MISS IT SO MUCH. I HAD CHILDREN 11MS. APART SO I FEEL SOME OF YOUR "PAIN" BUT NOT SO CLOSE TOGETHER AND NOT A 3RD CHILD!

I DRIVE AN SUV NOW B/C WE OWN A CAMPER AND MUST OWN A VEHICLE THAT WILL PULL IT. IT SEATS 8 SO 3 CARSEATS WOULD REALLY BE EASY AND TONS OF ROOM FOR THE STROLLER. DOWN SIZE IS THE GAS. BUT I GUESS THERE IS ALWAYS A SACRIFICE SOMEWHERE. YES, BEST TO PUT OLDEST IN MIDDLE OR BACK. CHECK OUT OTHERS VANS AND SUV'S FOR IDEAS. SURE ALL THE MOMS AT CHURCH AND EGLIN WOULD BE GLAD TO SHARE TIPS AND IDEAS.

I LOVED MY DOUBLE STROLLER BUT AGREE THAT GETTING ONE THAT WILL SUIT 3 IS SMARTER.

I ALSO AGREE WITH JOY THAT YOU SHOULD LET OTHERS KNOW HOW YOU ARE FEELING!

REST MUCH AND WELL!
:)

Jen said...

The brisket sounds so yummy! I'm not a big minivan person either due to safety reasons. Praying you find a vehicle (and stroller!) that fits both your needs and your wants.

My BFF kept my godson's name a secret even from us! :P But he's here now and one of the great loves of our lives. We loved him even when we didn't know his name and now it feels like there was never a time when we didn't know him.

So if you want to keep it a secret, keep it a secret! I think we plan to do the same...

Marlene said...

Hi Wendi, you mentioned a car with 3 rows of seats. I have a Honda CR-V and a friend of mine got a Honda Pilot at the same time. Not a mini van, but her Pilot has 3 rows of seats, and is very roomy. I believe there would be enough room for Isaac, Wendi, JB, Scrubs and new baby as well. Plus Honda's REALLY hold their value.

Just a thought, oh...and the nausea will subside. I was like that for 4 months with my son. I could not even go grocery shopping because it would make me sick. But after 4 months, my appetite came back with a vengence.

Marlene from the Dal Board

TAV said...

Yay, nausea! :)
I've had people say ginger and these seaband things for the wrists.
P.s. what's that "blog list" w/ time thing on the right?

Anonymous said...

Hi Wen, WE have a Pilot!! Great SUV and the mileage is not that bad! It is very roomy and would be perfect for your family! Kinda pricy BUT they do hold value and I bet there are some bargains out there since SUVs( and new cars in general)are not selling all that well...The CRV is very nice too,but for tall folks the Pilot isthe ONE!!! I tried the Toyota Highlander which was cheaper......nice but the "fit" for my height was way better in the Pilot!Give one a test drive and see how it "fits" for you guys!! Love ya N.

Tim and Roxanne said...

Hey Wendi,
My sister had my neices less than 10 months apart and had two older boys that still needed to have a stroller at times. She found her stroller through a "Multiples" web-site. You might want to try that route.
Love ya,
Rox

Anonymous said...

Wendi,

I for one think it would be a CRIME to get rid of the Saturn! That car has been good to you...find a way to make it work! Plus, I will miss the Saturn when I visit. Oh GREAT...now I'm tearing up...I can't write anymore!

Josh

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Josh, don't worry! We plan to keep it as vehicle #2!