Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Birds around my parents' lake

When JB and I go running, we run around a beautiful one mile course. It circles a lake. We are so amazed as we run at all the beautiful birds. I know that I saw these birds growing up, but I think, since I was born here, that I just took them for granted. Now when I see them, I have such a great appreciation for how amazing and exotic they are.

JB helped me gather some pictures of birds we have ACTUALLY SEEN running around the lake this year. Today is an off-day from running so I thought I would pay homage to the birds that we won't be visiting today.

White Ibis (mascot for Miami Hurricanes -- yuck!)


Green heron


Limpkin (which JB saw doing the exact same thing -- eating a snail, yesterday)


Wood Stork


Cormorant (they are always drying their wings -- yesterday one was in the same place when I circled back around a mile later)


Anhinga (they also swim under water and then dry their wings in the sun)


Anhinga (after catching lunch)



American Coot



Common Gallinule


Mallard ducks


Mallard Ducks (I saw three in a row yesterday doing this -- it is hilarious)



Muskovy Ducks



Great Egret (so pretty!)


Snowy Egret

Least Bittern

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but when I move away from stinky south Florida, I will not MISS the Muskovy Ducks. They are the most awful looking creatures ever. Ok, well maybe not THE worst, but they are ugly nonetheless.

AW said...

Wendi,

I live in a 'burb of Dallas and there is a Muskovy duck that lives in our neighborhood. I never knew what it was, but we always look for it. Doesn't seem to have any family around...just him. (Or her. Can't really tell.) Thanks for edumacating me today. :-)

Andi

Anonymous said...

We always called the Muskovy Ducks "Poop Ducks" when I was growing up.

R.Theys-Troland54 said...

wonderful pics

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing those pictures -i love good photography, nature, God's beauty and you captured it!!
I get so happy reading you are getting the place of restoration back "home" --keep taking it easy! Wow -lovd the flowers John did for your mom -i can imagine her reaction!!
We will miss you at the wedding and sharing in that joy -your photography will help! we have you in our hearts continually!
hugs n love Jan