Sunday, December 10, 2006

Are you a Southerner?

So last night we got together for a CMDA Holiday party. I stole this picture below from Kristen's blog.

Erica, Kristen, and myself at the CMDA Christmas party

Erica is the wife of a first year medical student and is from Tennessee. Hearing her talk reminded me of all the differences in speech I have observed living in three different states. When I lived in Kentucky, I definitely started talking like a southerner. So I started thinking: what are some of the things that southerners see that make their dialect very southern? Okay, so this is my own personal quiz. Please remember that south Floridians are not included amongst southerners. Southerners start somewhere above Orlando and end somewhere below Indiana.

To take my quiz (I made it myself) click here: ARE YOU A SOUTHERNER?

Once you get your results, post them in the comments section to let us know how you did. Kristen, do you have Erica's email address? Could you send this to her? I think she'd get a kick out of it.

The higher your percentage, the more southern your blood.

Also, don't forget to scroll below and let us know if you are the 30,000th visitor to the blog.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am 29,999!! i really really really want to refresh my page and be 30,000, but don't worry, wendi, i won't!

Kristina said...

You scored a 75% on the "Are you a southerner" Quizie!
13 people had a score lower than yours

0 people had a score higher than yours

0 people had a score the same as yours

AIM users! Copy and paste this code into your AIM profile to let your buddies know what you scored, and to find out what they score!

It's official - I am a true Southerner (pronounced Suhthenah).

Kristina in GA.

Anonymous said...

I had my husband take the quiz because he was raised in Texas--moved to MN when he was 10. He scored 62%, apparently only Kristina scored higher.
Beth

Anonymous said...

My score is 37%, which is very funny since I was born in the south and pretty much raised there.

Anonymous said...

I got 25% on that quiz. I'm disappointed by how well I did. I should have scored much lower seeing as how I have never lived south of Rochester and nearly gagged to death when I tried sweetened ice tea. I hope my fellow Northerners don't force me to move below the Mason-Dixon Line.

yuan family said...

Definitely not a Southerner!

Anonymous said...

You scored a 25% on the "Are you a southerner" Quizie!

Not too bad for being born in KY and raised in "southern" MN !!!

Sheila

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendi! I've been reading your blog for a while, but I've never posted a comment before - this will be my first!

I took the quiz and scored a 50%. My husband and I had a laugh at the question about combining words such as "might could", etc. I actually said that yesterday - Ahh! As in, "We 'might could' paint that room yellow to coordinate with the rug." He just looked at me and repeated, "Might could???" Hehe...

I guess being born and raised in Texas has influenced me just a little bit!

Anyway - just got a chuckle out of the quiz. You are always in my prayers - we too are on our own TTC journey while I complete law school.

Tina
San Antonio, Texas

AW said...

Okay, I'm not a Southerner at all (raised in Hawaii!), but I guess the South has gotten in my blood in the last 8 years I've been here:

I scored a 56%.

What a fun quiz! Gotta run now y'all as I'm fixin' to eat some turkey and stuffin. :-)

Andi