Saturday, December 09, 2006

Very Merry Saturday

Today, JB and I had the opportunity to take part in "Christmas Anonymous" for Olmsted County. I was under the impression that this was a National Organization, but as I browsed online, it appears that this is a group native to Olmsted County. It was started 50 years ago and served around 70 families. This year, if I remember correctly, nearly 800 families were blessed by this completely volunteer event.

Now before you think we are "tooting our own horn" about volunteering, let me tell you that while volunteering has always been something John and I talk about doing, we truly have not done much volunteering. I always want to, but like many of you, really am not sure how to go about getting involved. However, after today, I am really going to make it a point to find activities in the community. It is such a rewarding experience, and while we are all busy, who doesn't have a few hours a month?

This was an awesome opportunity. Our friend Setty from the CMDA Bible Study asked for volunteers, and since all we had to do was show up, that didn't seem like it was asking too much. After a brief training period, we then got in line, were matched with a family in need in line, and took them around the free "store" that had been set up at the Episcopal Church only two blocks from our house. JB and I decided to work as a team and took on families with a larger number of children.

This was so amazing to be a part of. Families were given new toys, stocking stuffers, used books, food, a bike, and new and used coats! This was not junky stuff they were giving away. These were toys that I would have loved when I was a kid! New toys. Toys that would not let any child feel that Santa had skipped his/her house!

I wish I would have heard about this before our fourth and last year of medical school. If we we end up staying in Rochester, I will definitely participate in this next year. When we were being trained, they told us they were hoping we could do at least 2 families. I remember thinking, "That's it? Two?" But after two families, John and I were both pretty beat and our legs were very sore from walking and carrying the goody bags. We ended up eating a little lunch and taking a third family before heading home for the day, but by the end of that round, we were definitely cooked. I guess after fifty years, they know how much each volunteer can handle.

Speaking of the day, it was a BEAUTIFUL DAY! It was in the low 40's. I would have loved to go for a run, but actually, after three hours of walking, we ended up taking a nap instead. We plan to leave in about an hour for the CMDA Christmas Party at one of the local leader's homes. This should be a good time, and a nice way to spend our last Saturday of 2006 in Rochester, Minnesota.

WE LEAVE IN LESS THAN A WEEK FOR FLORIDA!

WE ALSO FIND OUT NEXT WEEK WHERE JB IS DOING HIS RESIDENCY! STAY TUNED!

P.S. Oh and praise the Lord, I switched to the new version the medication last night and slept without incident, proving even more that is what this medication that caused me to get drunk. I was very scared to go to sleep, and poor JB didn't sleep soundly as everytime I tossed and turned he jolted awake, but I returned to normal Wendi.

2 comments:

AW said...

Wendi,

What a cool post! Our church does something very similar, called the Three Trees Project. (Not sure why it's called that - I'm sure there is a story there.) Ours is this Sunday night and we're looking forward to serving.

http://www.theheights.org/news.htm

The small groups in our Sunday School class are challenged each year to get involved in at least one community project. It hasn't been without struggle as everyone is so busy with just Life in general. But those that do make that sacrifice find themselves more blessed than the people they're trying to bless. (And you're right - it's always one of those things we "think/talk about", but never do. So nice to know others feel the same as I!) I'll have to let you know how it goes!

Andi

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I agree -- yes, let me know how it goes. I think you'll find, like me, it doesn't feel like "volunteering" at all.