Tuesday, November 21, 2006

It is well, it is well with my soul

"I know that God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much."
Mother Teresa

I wish I had better news for all of you. This isn't the post I dreamed of writing in my attempt at positive-dreams.

I am not able to formulate words right now so I'll just leave it at that. JB was actually the one to call me with the results this morning which was refreshing. I appreciate all your love and support as always. Please don't be hurt if I don't respond to phone calls right now -- I'd prefer to be verbal only with JB as we work through our emotions.

In the meantime, here are some scriptures that are comforting me. I know that many of you have confessed you don't know what to say to us. Don't worry. We don't know what to say to us either. "Sometimes, there are no words to say, just prayers to pray."

Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, although there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.
Hab. 3:17-18

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Rom. 8:28

Jesus replied, “You do not realize what I am doing, but later you will understand."
John 13:7

Weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.
Psalm 30:5

Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in His wonderful face; And the things of earth will grow strangely dim In the light of His glory and grace.

And as I sat at my desk today, my eye caught sight of the old hymn I had taped to my bulletin board: "It is well with my soul."

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot,
Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh trump of the angel!
Oh voice of the Lord!
Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

7 comments:

Tara said...

I am so very sorry. I thought the beta was probably today and I was so hoping this was it for you. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. Your reference to "It is Well" reminded me of a great book I leaned on heavily during our IF struggles - "Lessons I Learned in the Dark" by Jennifer Rothschild. The theme of the book is basically that it can be well with our souls even when it is not well with our circumstances.

I've been praying for you and following your journey. I've felt especially "close" to you since I found out (through your blog) your connection to WKU - that is where I work.

Praying for your heart today and praying that you will feel God's closeness to you!

Donna (friend from HP)

TAV said...

I can only imagine what you're feeling right now but I know that the heart does go on.

"There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Marden

Tomorrow will be better.
Love you,
tla

Anonymous said...

2 Corinthians 4:8
"We are hard pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed but not in depair; persecuted but not forsaken; struck down but not destroyed."



Though I don't understand what you are going through, He does, and as you know He will get you through it, and He will make you stronger. I am so sorry for what you are going through, and I hurt and grieve with you.


Great is Thy faithfulness,
O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not,
Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Refrain:
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Refrain

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Refrain


<3 Me

Anonymous said...

thoughts, prayers, and many hugs for you, wendi and john.

Edward Charles said...

Oh Wendi and John, our hearts and prayers are with you. Know that you are very loved.

Anonymous said...

Wendi, Your blog brought tears to my eyes and glory to God. I love you--Sarah