Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Appointment Update

Okay, well it's been an interesting day.

I woke up this morning just feeling very "bloated" and "crampy". I thought this was a little early in the IVF journey to be feeling this uncomfortable. I am walking at half-speed, sitting at half-speed, standing at half speed. I'm starting to look twice my age in the speed of my movements.

So I went in for my blood work at 7 then headed up to work. I sat down at my desk and realized, "JB never gave me my shot this morning!" Called John. Could he bring the meds with him when he came in? Maybe. But where do a husband and wife go to take a shot in her thigh? So John said I had to come home to get my shot. Home I go. Too bad it wasn't an evening shot. (Those are in my stomach. I can show my belly for crying out loud.)

So back to work by 8. I then think there was then some confusion with my results. I think because JB is now "working" there, they didn't put my results on the phone-in message board. I finally called the office at 4:45. There were my orders. But where was my message? So between the nurse and John I finally got to the bottom of things.

No wonder I am not feeling good. My numbers were in the 600's! Holy gashmoley. Last time when I went in for my first blood draw, my numbers were in the 100's. So, tomorrow morning more blood work (I start rotating arms at this point) and an ultrasound. (I know these estradial numbers confuse everyone but just keep in mind that a "mature follicle" emits about 150-200 on the estradial scale. However, to complicate matters, a 200 could mean 1 mature or 4 emitting 50. So the only way to really be sure is to do an ultrasound.)

Last harvest I went in on a Tuesday. This time it is my guess that I will go in earlier: Sunday or Monday. Let's see if I am right or not. Only time will tell. It appears I am progressing nicely. Nice and bloated!

Wow, this is moving fast! Look for more updates tomorrow of course. Don't worry, I'll keep you posted.

Oh and please keep the prayers coming. I am feeling emotionally AWESOME! Dealing with headaches and bloating but emotionally flying high.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you explain just a little what the 600 means --it sounds like it is good news -not negative...but i'd like to more clearly understand it!?
Tante Jan

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I will try. It's confusing! :(

They like your number to be over 2000 to have IVF be "a go". I am at 600. These numbers move fast (they can double in one day.)

Basically the numbers tell how many mature follicles you have (follicle contain the eggs.) They believe that a "mature" follicle emits about 150-200 on the estradial scale. This means that 600 could be:

3 mature follicles
6 follicles not quite mature
12 follicle just barely growing

So all the estradial means is, my follicles are growing but they can only determine how much when they look at the ultrasound tomorrow.

Does that help? :)

Anonymous said...

Yes it helps alot! Thanks Wen.
Hon i'm up not sleeping either and wept thru your most recent blog. I must have needed a good, good cry...it touched deep parts of me! That story is part of a book i hope you know -it will help so many people -not just in infertility but in suffering. There is not much out there about the fellowship we experience with the Lord in our suffereing and grief and how He truly is real and does meet us. What a comfort that story is and answer to my prayers (which will continue) for you! i love you Tante Jan