Wednesday, October 11, 2006

John "heard the word"

I can't believe I forgot to blog about THE most important thing that has occurred in our house in recent history.

My husband passed STEP 2!

What does this mean? Well, in short, it means that barring an unforeseen, horrific event, he will graduate as an M.D. in May of next year.

Medical students take STEP 1 at the end of their second year of medical school, and they take Step 2 in the middle of their fourth year. JB will have one more Step, but this will occur during residency. He is, actually, waiting for his results from his "Clinical Skills Exam" as well. This is the test he took in Chicago a few weeks back. However, no one really fails that test, and it is only pass or fail, so we really aren't sweating it.

John called me at work and just said, "I got my board scores back." The way he said it I thought he had failed!!! He admitted that when he saw the envelope in the mailbox, his heart started beating through his chest. I, however, had no doubt that he would pass. He's going to be an amazing doctor.

John also received a copy of his "Dean's Letter". This is a letter written by the Dean of the medical school. I would love to share what the Dean wrote, however, I have learned that medical students DO NOT DISCUSS their scores or results or feedback with anyone outside their immediate family. PERIOD.

One time, AND YES THIS IS HOW THE STORY WENT, I asked Tara, in a group of people, how she did on the boards. Tara claims I said "what did you score?" However, even I am not that dumb. Anyways, you would have thought I cursed her mother or something the way everyone looked at me. For whatever reason, this is forbidden. Sometimes I can get someone to squeak a line or two out about their past successes etc., but it is not often. These people JB goes to school with are BRILLIANT! I am talking people who missed 1 or 2 questions on their SATs! Yikes!

So instead I will just tell you that the Dean's letter was very good and painted a very accurate picture of the John we all know (and love!) I wish you could read it but that would be unacceptable.

Make plans everyone. Graduation is May 19. We are going to have a party, and we hope you will all join us. Congrats JB!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, to set the record straight, I believe the question from Wendi was, "What did you get on the boards?" followed by.... silence on behalf of myself and all others in the conversation at the time. I think I've told 2 people total. So keep wondering, people :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Tara, I SERIOUSLY KNOW FOR SURE that is NOT what I said. AND YES MY CAPS MEAN I AM YELLING. just kidding. But seriously, I would fess up if I said that. I promise, I didn't. But, maybe that's why everyone looked at me like that.

I feel like I am fighting an uphill battle.

Anonymous said...

well, I didn't understand why Med students shouldn't discuss that! what's wrong with annoucing their board scores?! just wondering!

Congrats John! you are the man! good luck! I am sure you ll pass the CS exam!
after all,if I pass it, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't!

Anonymous said...

Josh says...

It's hard being brilliant. I have been trying to live life with superior intelligence for 29 years.
The truth is, I put my shoes on one at a time just like everyone else!
Guys like JB and I get satisfaction in life when we help those who lack the brain power we possess.
It truly is a gift!

Anonymous said...

So John's graduation party is on Armed Forces day! :)
Jan

Anonymous said...

Who is going to answer Bara's question?!?!?!?!?
I want to see the Dean's letter!!!!! :)
xoJan

Anonymous said...

My thinking is that its not discussed because it doesn't matter. If you passed, you passed and if you failed, well then you failed and must retake them. It probably stirs up unneeded dissention between one another.

Anonymous said...

BY THE WAY,
CONGRATULATIONS JOHN!?!?!